Switching Banks - identity proof

I am thinking of switching our joint account from Barclays to First Direct.
Problem is my wife has let her passport expire and has no other photo id other than her bus pass. She has no intention of travelling abroad again due to having lymphoma.
I am switching for the bonus and regular saver account.

Any other methods of ID?

Comments

• Does it say the passport has to be current?
  • If you don't/can't switch, you'll receive £0 bonus and have no access to the regular saver.

If your wife applies for photo ID (£34 or £82.50) and you switch, you'll net £92.50 or £141, gain access to the regular saver, and have an identity document for future purposes.
  • boingy
    boingy Posts: 1,164
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'd suggest setting up a "burner" account in just your name at another bank (I've used Metro a few times) then switching that for the bonus. In the longer term definitely consider renewing the passport even if it will not be used for travel. It costs but in the UK that or a driving licence are the closest thing we have to a nationally accepted form of ID.
  • ian16527 said:
    Problem is my wife has let her passport expire and has no other photo id other than her bus pass. She has no intention of travelling abroad again due to having lymphoma.

Any other methods of ID?

I opened a current account with First Direct a few months ago.  I didn't have to provide any ID - either their electronic search came up with the right answer or they accepted that I was the same person who had an account with them some years ago.

Have you actually been asked to provide ID?
  • 35har1old
    35har1old Posts: 952
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 20 November 2023 at 10:53PM
    Does it say the passport has to be current?
    The terms state current passport
    Certified copy 
  • ian16527
    ian16527 Posts: 212
    Forumite
    ian16527 said:

Any other methods of ID?

I opened a current account with First Direct a few months ago.  I didn't have to provide any ID - either their electronic search came up with the right answer or they accepted that I was the same person who had an account with them some years ago.

Have you actually been asked to provide ID?
    Its in their terms. It may be different for a joint account as you have to click a different link.
  • ian16527
    ian16527 Posts: 212
    Forumite
    edited 21 November 2023 at 5:51PM
    I've decided to renew the passport but If I have to get certified copies I don't think I will bother - life's too short

Thanks everyone
  • Largs
    Largs Posts: 187
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I applied 2 days ago (to see if I can get a 2nd bonus for switching) and at first the APP was wanting me to take a photo of passport, I was having trouble so went to another room and was trying to switch on the torch but somehow closed the APP and had to start over, this time it never asked for a photo and let me open the account.  Odd.
  • artyboy
    artyboy Posts: 819
    Forumite
    Banks terms may well include details of ID documents they may require but in practice, across the dozen or so tactical switches I've made over the past 5 years, I've never once been asked for anything. 

I think provided you have a credit file that's accurate, and you're on the electoral roll, then banks can typically verify your identity electronically without having to resort to asking for bits of paper. Not guaranteed, but worth trying, especially as suggested above via a 'burner' account
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback