Replacing wall light/ hole in wall

Hi all, Took a couple of wall lights down and discovered that the holes behind them are larger than the bases of the new lights I'm putting up (its a solid wall). The holes are about 2 inches deep and 3 wide and has the electrical wires coming out from them. I'm wondering how I would go about covering these holes over, to then fit the new lights. Any advice out there?  

Comments

• CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,197
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 20 November 2023 at 2:10PM
    Ordinary filler would do the job.  You might need to do it in several applications if the hole is deep, but fill it with filler, sand it flat when it's completely dry, job done.
    Depends what's coving the wall to some extent.  If it's papered then you'll see where it's been filled (unless you want to re-paper the whole lot).  If it's painted then you're still going to notice it - you should be able to get a pretty good approximation of the existing colour to go over where you've filled, but it's nigh-on impossible to get an exact match (even if you use the exact same paint as what's already there, the existing paint will have faded slightly over time).
    But in terms of actually filling the holes then yep, ordinary filler would work.
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,458
    Forumite
    It would really help to have a photo of the hole.
    The job will involve filler at some point, but it sounds less than ideal for just filler - it would take weeks to dry, for a start!
    You also need to avoid binding the cables, so some method of sleeving them would be good. And, you'll want to make sure that the new fitting's fixing screws will avoid the cables.
    Check out your local Facebook Marketplace and see if anyone is giving away plasterboard pieces - that's usually the easiest way to largely fill a hole, leaving filling just to 'make good'.
  • Ordinary filler would do the job.  You might need to do it in several applications if the hole is deep, but fill it with filler, sand it flat when it's completely dry, job done.
    Depends what's coving the wall to some extent.  If it's papered then you'll see where it's been filled (unless you want to re-paper the whole lot).  If it's painted then you're still going to notice it - you should be able to get a pretty good approximation of the existing colour to go over where you've filled, but it's nigh-on impossible to get an exact match (even if you use the exact same paint as what's already there, the existing paint will have faded slightly over time).
    But in terms of actually filling the holes then yep, ordinary filler would work.

That's what i was thinking with regards to the filler drying, thank you Clive.
  • It would really help to have a photo of the hole.
    The job will involve filler at some point, but it sounds less than ideal for just filler - it would take weeks to dry, for a start!
    You also need to avoid binding the cables, so some method of sleeving them would be good. And, you'll want to make sure that the new fitting's fixing screws will avoid the cables.
    Check out your local Facebook Marketplace and see if anyone is giving away plasterboard pieces - that's usually the easiest way to largely fill a hole, leaving filling just to 'make good'.

Great advice, thank you. The cables are the main reason i'm not sure how to proceed, any advice on sleeving them? I think i'll take your advice on filling the hole with something other than just filler- I've got some plasterboard in the shed I can use. :)
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,458
    Forumite
    Photo, please :smile:
    Nothing special required for 'sleeving' - just something to prevent the filler coming into contact and sticking to it. Even paper taped around it. 
  • Photo, please :smile:
    Nothing special required for 'sleeving' - just something to prevent the filler coming into contact and sticking to it. Even paper taped around it. 

I'll send a photo tomorrow, think I've got it.

• Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,541
    Forumite
    @PatQuinn10
    Have you considered putting a wooden or mdf wall plague with a hole drilled through centre for cable on wall.
    They could be painted or stained to suit decor before being put up and may give a better surface for new lights to be attached to.

• something like this? can be painted /stained to suit your decor and the light

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback