Roof Leak Issue: What is the best next steps?

Hi, 
1. Roof beams wet, damp, mouldy at the top of the roof.
2. 2 beams in a terrace house of around 20 beams, so isolted to those beams.
3. There is a small hole in the felt. The water is absorbing into the beam, see photo.
4. Had a roofer round, he said could be the ridges. He filled the ridges with a mastik or some kind of sealant. He said there should not be any ingress of water now.
5. The beams is still damp, mouldy when raining. He said the only way to fix it is to remove the ridges, refelt that area, then put ridges back on.
6. Problem is that the ridges are cemented firm against the tiles and if we remove them it will more than likely break the tiles and cause more damange to the tiles that will then need replacing.
7. He said another reason could be that there is consendation betweem the felt and the tiles when wet. I dont think this is the case as in my seperate image where the chimney flue is, there is a big gap in the felt but no water issue. 
8. My conclusion, water is ingressing in this area, damaging the beam. Is my only option to rip all the ridges off, refelt the area. Quote is circa £500 +materials. 

Please see images attached. Appreciate if any builders/roofers could advise on their opinion on this, where is the water coming from, it's not dripping wet but wet enough that it's causing the wood to crumble at the very top in the image.

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,845
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 19 November 2023 at 3:12PM
    I think your only option is to remove the ridge, and refelt, or better still, apply a modern breather membrane. Sealant very rarely works in my experience. 

It should be possible for a competent roofer to remove the ridge without damaging the tiles, although a wise roofer will always warn of the potential for damage. It should be possible to find identical tiles, and I would recommend getting a stock of these ahead of the work if you can. Your neighbours might have some already, or know the name of the tile. They might also be customers for any unused tiles you have left over after the work is done, but I would always recommend keeping at least five tiles in case of breakages at a later date.

I think it most likely that the water is coming from the ridge, because the mortar is failing. In one respect this is good as it means the mortar is morely to come off without damaging the tiles. I don't think it is condensation because it sounds like the roof is properly ventilated. 

The quote seems quite reasonable, but it would be wise to get another couple of quotes.  
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,346
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 21 November 2023 at 2:38PM
    The inside photograph seems to show a pipe running through the roof at the ridge, but the outside photo does not show any pipes at the ridge.   
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,039
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The inside photograph seems to show a pipe running through the roof at the ridge, but the outside photo does not show any pipes at the ridge.   
    Looks like our house ,we have an inside bathroom ,no windows , so has a roof mounted extractor fan the vents through a special ridge tile via trunking.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback