Average Monthly Basis - should it be £183 plus?

Can anyone tell me on an average monthly basis on the electric bills as of November 2023 even so for the last three months? 

Turning lights off when not needed, watching TV in the dark with no other power source connected, Only the fridge, boiler and Router on 24/7, Computer on max 5 hours in a single day but not every day. Oven & Hob is eclectic,   

In a normal three-bedroom home with three people :) Yet comes to as near to £183 a month just for electricity.

I was expecting an average of £153 for most households -  Redcar and Cleveland

Comments

• Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,136
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 18 November 2023 at 6:45PM
    From the 01/10/23 to right now I have used 191Kwh - £78.83

I'm on own - TV in dark, electric oven.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,168
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 18 November 2023 at 6:47PM
    What's your heating, and what's your actual usage in kWh? 

Talking in ££ isn't very useful as every region has different rates, and I doubt people are going to be wanting to look up the regional rates to calculate the actual usage for an accurate comparison between every person's post.

Edit: also if you have LED lights, turning then off isn't going to make a huge difference.  Obviously no point leaving them on when not needed either, but watching TV in the dark probably isn't the best for your eyes.  The TV will be using a lot more than an LED lightbulb!
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,295
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    no clock radios plugged in?  phones charging?  microwave plugged in??  

That said it's much more than ours which is about £100 for 2 adults both at home most days, lights on, 2 pcs, things charging, hot tub humming, etc etc etc.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • The only clues from your post history are graphics cards for desktops.

Do you run desktop PC's for gaming?

What else is it a large American type fridge freezer?

Is you shower and electric heated shower?
    "I can lead you to the money saving well but cannot make you drink from it"

As mum always said "don't respond to imbeciles just ignore them" wise words mum 
  • Washer/dryer dishwasher , shower etc etc . No home is average , often not normal round here
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • What's your heating, and what's your actual usage in kWh? 
    I know what it is however different location is different!  So it's like 97kWh  with a unit rate of 27.078p

Brie said:
    no clock radios plugged in?  phones charging?  microwave plugged in??  

That said it's much more than ours which is about £100 for 2 adults both at home most days, lights on, 2 pcs, things charging, hot tub humming, etc etc etc.
    Yes phones, two phones get charged, last for at least two days mostly (depending on how heavy use), Landline plugged in 24/7 -  microwave Yes, does get used more than the oven, On that note have two PCs running - Laptop gets used more over the desktop.

The only clues from your post history are graphics cards for desktops.

Do you run desktop PC's for gaming?

What else is it a large American type fridge freezer?

Is you shower and electric heated shower?
    One gaming Desktop, gaming is not every day and when it's on - three hours at the most - On my Laptop more than on my desktop....

The fridge is only 60/40 Fridge, it's not large, and no electric shower 

Washer/dryer dishwasher , shower etc etc . No home is average , often not normal round here

Washer/dryer - yes, the dryer gets used 3 times a week mostly, the dishwasher Yes, but not every day and when on, an hour a day - tends to do one single wash at the end of the day 

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,657
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 18 November 2023 at 7:41PM
    What's your heating, and what's your actual usage in kWh? 
    I know what it is however different location is different!  So it's like 97kWh  with a unit rate of 27.078p
    That's less than £30, then. Plus another £15 for standing charges.
    What's the other £140 for? What does your bill actually say?
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,647
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Can anyone tell me on an average monthly basis on the electric bills as of November 2023 even so for the last three months? 

Turning lights off when not needed, watching TV in the dark with no other power source connected, Only the fridge, boiler and Router on 24/7, Computer on max 5 hours in a single day but not every day. Oven & Hob is eclectic,   

In a normal three-bedroom home with three people :) Yet comes to as near to £183 a month just for electricity.

I was expecting an average of £153 for most households -  Redcar and Cleveland
    Ours is a 3 bed semi with three people. I would flip if ours was 183 for electric alone.

Gas and electric together were £115 last month, this month so far I am on track for the same but I am expecting it to get colder by the end of the month so it may well be more expensive this month. I have a smart meter and 'try' to keep gas and electric together at no more than £5 per day. last month I had one day when I exceeded that but so far this month I have been under budget every day.

That's gas for water and heating. and hob.

Electric is 2 tvs, one on all day the other approx 5 hours, washing machine used 4 or 5 washes a week, electric oven used every day, all the usual other things, lights, lamps, chargers, router, toaster, de-humidifier used every day, 2 laptops probably between them used about 8 hours a day, fridge and freezer. 
    We are not living with gloves on or depriving ourselves in any way, we are just being careful. Ive become so much more aware of usage since we got the smart meter.
  • PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,129
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 18 November 2023 at 9:13PM
    £ mean nothing.  For example, this month, I am using £1.51 a day on electricity.  I am also using 5.83 kWh a day.

My mean November average is 204 kWh of electricity, which (at my current cost inc. standing charge) is £51.65.

My mean monthly average is 178 kWh of electricity.
  • Hey OP - try not to worry, it sounds like this could be fairly easily sorted out.

Are you saying that your monthly direct debit is £183? It may be that your energy supplier is currently charging you on the basis of estimated bills. What does your latest bill say next to the meter readings shown? Possibilities include A - actual, S - smart, C - customer or E - estimated. Go back over your last years worth of bills - see if you can find one from about a year ago with a meter reading marked as “actual” or “customer”, and let us know what that reading was. Then read your meter now and confirm what that says - that will tell you your annual use, and from that we can work out what your DD should be. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills