Advice, Disabled access to cemetery.

Options
I wonder if you kind people would be able to give me some advice on behalf of a friend who lost a close relative some months ago.

The relative was buried in a church cemetery, and as many of the relatives are now elderly, one is blind, several have walking difficulties, two knee replacements, others with hip replacements etc the family placed a bench near to the grave at a side wall, as have other people over the years with several benches in different areas.

The church has sent quite an unpleasant letter threatening legal action unless the bench is removed.

On the side of the church yes it is their land and they ultimately have the right to say what happens on it.

However on the families side there is the aspect of fairness and precedent, as several other families have benches, but I wondered if one could argue under the Equalities Act they are, by insisting on the removal of the bench, preventing access to the facility for those disabled members of the family who now won’t be able to visit? 

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 November 2023 at 12:16PM
    Options
    I don’t think it is preventing access because if they can get to the bench then they can clearly get to the graveside and they could take a mobility aid along to sit on when they get there.
    Why have they been asked to move the bench when other people haven’t? Has that question being asked?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,875 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Likely down to liability and maintenance issues, the default position is that the landowner is responsible.  I suspect the letter received is because they know who owns this one, maybe others have been contacted.
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,806 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It is likely the other benches were negotiated (likely supplied (at a cost)) by the cemetery. Have they actually asked how they could arrange to have a bench in that location?

I don't believe they will be breaking any disability laws by saying no though.
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

However on the families side there is the aspect of fairness and precedent, as several other families have benches, but I wondered if one could argue under the Equalities Act they are, by insisting on the removal of the bench, preventing access to the facility for those disabled members of the family who now won’t be able to visit? 

I would ask if any of the existing benches could be relocated to make access easier for your family.

The fee for placing a wooden memorial bench on the street in central Edinburgh is £4805.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    There'll be processes and procedures that need to be followed (and fees that likely need to be paid) for anything that's put in a cemetery. You sadly can't just wander up and put whatever you want wherever you want. In terms of the other benches - nobody knows whether they followed the correct procedures or not - but that's not really the issue - if you haven't - then they have to deal with that on an individual basis. Many well-meaning people do things without a thought to the bigger picture. Who pays to maintain it? Keep it clear of weeds and plants? Keeps it in good condition? Generally the family start out with the best intentions - but as years pass, things get neglected. Who pays then for removal when it's old and rotten? At what point would you expect them to break it up and bin it? It may be worth asking them whether there's a process to put a bench in place, and how the family might pay for its maintenance and eventual replacement or disposal. 
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,170 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 18 November 2023 at 3:37PM
    Options
    Have your relatives followed the correct process in terms of asking for permission? 

As an example, the Diocese of York & Diocese of Chelmsford have this information regarding benches in churchyards... It isn't simply a case of buying a bench and putting it down where you want. 

https://dioceseofyork.org.uk/uploads/attachment/5624/dac-guide-benches.pdf

https://www.chelmsford.anglican.org/uploads/dac-docs/SEATS__BENCHES_IN_CHURCHYARDS_-_2013_Edition(6).pdf
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wonder if you kind people would be able to give me some advice on behalf of a friend who lost a close relative some months ago.

The relative was buried in a church cemetery, and as many of the relatives are now elderly, one is blind, several have walking difficulties, two knee replacements, others with hip replacements etc the family placed a bench near to the grave at a side wall, as have other people over the years with several benches in different areas.

The church has sent quite an unpleasant letter threatening legal action unless the bench is removed.

On the side of the church yes it is their land and they ultimately have the right to say what happens on it.

I could have read this wrong, but the way I read it they’ve just gone ahead without getting permission, is that right?
    permission should have been sought so that all healthy, access and safety concerns could have been considered.

• HillStreetBlues
    Options
    Maybe if permission was sort for the bench some arrangement  might have been agreed.
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Other families have benches because they have went through the correct process and probably paid to have a memorial bench. 

You can't just dump a bench on someone else's land then claim discrimination when told to remove it.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,328 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    BoGoF said:
    Other families have benches because they have went through the correct process and probably paid to have a memorial bench. 

You can't just dump a bench on someone else's land then claim discrimination when told to remove it.
    Please be nice to all money savers.
    Thanks  :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback