AmEx rant

Options
For years I've been a big supporter of AmEx and felt they offered good products backed by great service. In the last few years the products have been devalued and the service has slipped a little but still remained above the competition.

Yesterday I had grounds for complaint, spoke to multiple different people who gave me vastly different explanations of what's going on etc which is never a good sign. The only agreement was I needed to speak to a back office team that work office hours only.

Speak to them today, they give a 5th version of events. They advise that what they have done is wrong, it's not treating customers fairly and anyone on a modern product they wouldn't do this to them. I'm on a legacy product though and their rules for those are different and so whilst they agree its unfair company policy allows them to do it. 

Complaint registered, they ask for some documents to be sent to them, so say great, what email address or do you have an upload bit on the website to use? No, you need to post them or fax them to us. 

Fax? Who has a fax machine these days? Would have thought with any of their new customers they're going to have to spend 10 minutes explaining what a fax machine even is. 

Do they have a fax machine that receives this? No, they have a digital machine that converts the fax to a PDF and puts it into the DMS system. So rather than emailing something to do into the DMS I have to find my old Email to Fax service to send a PDF for them to use their Fax to PDF service to make it back into a PDF. Cutting edge stuff.

Comments

• robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,116 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For years I've been a big supporter of AmEx and felt they offered good products backed by great service. In the last few years the products have been devalued and the service has slipped a little but still remained above the competition.

Yesterday I had grounds for complaint, spoke to multiple different people who gave me vastly different explanations of what's going on etc which is never a good sign. The only agreement was I needed to speak to a back office team that work office hours only.

Speak to them today, they give a 5th version of events. They advise that what they have done is wrong, it's not treating customers fairly and anyone on a modern product they wouldn't do this to them. I'm on a legacy product though and their rules for those are different and so whilst they agree its unfair company policy allows them to do it. 

Complaint registered, they ask for some documents to be sent to them, so say great, what email address or do you have an upload bit on the website to use? No, you need to post them or fax them to us. 

Fax? Who has a fax machine these days? Would have thought with any of their new customers they're going to have to spend 10 minutes explaining what a fax machine even is. 

Do they have a fax machine that receives this? No, they have a digital machine that converts the fax to a PDF and puts it into the DMS system. So rather than emailing something to do into the DMS I have to find my old Email to Fax service to send a PDF for them to use their Fax to PDF service to make it back into a PDF. Cutting edge stuff.
    That's a quite damning indictment. So many companies don't want to be contacted by email. My cynical opinion is that it leaves too much evidence. So many annoying webforms demanding inside leg measurement and favourite aquatic reptile before you can send a form to be ignored. But fax to email is quite something.

I think conveyancers still use fax for its instant confirmation of receipt, but that's about it.

Also, I've had some fairly unenjoyable chat sessions with Amex in the last few months. Not good at understanding your point first time. Or second. 
  • Lavendyr
    Lavendyr Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Weird, I had to send them some documents to back up a claim recently and was able to upload them via the online service. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure