Advice on repeated bank phone fraud attempts

I have an elderly relative who fell for a bank phone call fraud at least a year ago.
You know the one where they send you a text saying 'never read out this number to anyone' - and they did.
The bank (Co-operative) were excellent and no money was ultimately lost.

It all went quite for several months.
She's now getting phone calls purporting to be from her bank at roughly fortnightly intervals.
Thankfully she's savvy enough now to hang up and ring 159.
But, it's naturally getting very stressful for her as well as being time consuming.
  • She's extremely reluctant to change her bank account as she's been with the Co-op for decades, and I'm not sure that this would actually help in the medium term.
  • Equally she won't change her phone number because we've only just weaned her off her landline onto a mobile - she's finally memorised her number and 'all her freinds know it'.
  • We can't block the bank's incoming number - just in case there is a genuine problem.
Any other ideas? - I'm at my wits end (Let alone her)!

Comments

• - tell the bank to never contact her by phone 
    - block the bank’s number on her phone 
    - black any unknown callers on her phone 
    - should she still get nuisance calls, keep telling her that she should always hang straight up
  • Olinda99
    Olinda99 Posts: 1,200
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 15 November 2023 at 3:45PM
    you could suggest she does what I do - never answer unknown numbers

I doubt if it's the bank's true number being shown because I believe technology exists to prevent certain numbers such as banks being spoofed
  • friolento said:
    - tell the bank to never contact her by phone 
    - block the bank’s number on her phone 

Thanks
    That seems to be a sensible combination. She has access to another account, and I can generally help her out to cover any postal delay.
    I'll get her to contact the Co-op to give that instruction.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,328
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Olinda99 said:
    you could suggest she does what I do - never answer unknown numbers

I doubt if it's the bank's true number being shown because I believe technology exists to prevent certain numbers such as banks being spoofed
    Fraudsters can manage to spoof any number they please.  

As for someone else's idea of blocking unknown calls - I'm never sure this is a good idea.  It would mean missing most calls from the doctor's surgery, tradespeople you need to deal with, friends who need to contact you from a new phone etc.  Ok to not answer, let them go to voicemail and then you can ring back - that will work with some things but not all - like when have you been able to actually ring up your actual doctor?
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Olinda99
    Olinda99 Posts: 1,200
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 15 November 2023 at 5:43PM
    This is what I am talking about - the DNO database

Ofcom and UK Finance set up the DNO database in 2019. It worked with telecoms companies, government agencies and other public-sector bodies to list their public telephone numbers. These are inbound-only – and never used to call customers. 

The idea is that any outgoing calls appearing to originate from one of these inbound-only numbers must be spoofed. This list is then shared with telecoms providers, their intermediaries and call-blocking or filtering services, which block calls from these numbers before they reach the intended recipient. 

Thus for example the number on the back of your debit card can never be spoofed - or at least it can be spoofed but it will never get through

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/information-for-industry/policy/tackling-scam-calls-and-texts/do-not-originate

• I was getting phishing calls for a while (purporting to be from Amex) so I said "I know this is a phishing call and I'm not going to talk to you so you can stop calling me", then hung up.  I set my phone to reject calls from unknown numbers and after about 10 days I removed that block, it was enough and they haven't called me again.  You can still see details of incoming calls so you can call back anyone you've missed or even lift the block whilst you're waiting for a particular call.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Change the number. There's no need to memorise it - just write it on the back of the phone and in the contacts.
    Are all these calls really pretending to be from the real Co-Op number?
  • She will likely be on one or more scammers lists.

An option is to limit easy access to the majority of funds. This could involve the moving of funds to another account or opening an account just for day to day spending. 
  • Another tip: NEVER entertain a call from a bank. Just ask the caller for their name, and if they have any reference number, then hang up and call the bank on a number they have published. If she uses a mobile, she can call striaght back. If she uses a landline, she should wait 5 minutes as the scammers could still be at the other end before they get cut off.
  • It’s hard to explain to everyone that any call you did not initiate yourself is a SCAM.
    Even if it’s not.
    Never trust anyone, I’ve had bank scams, sky, BT, BG, 3, O2, Vodafone, EE, and every brand of appliance in the house. Accidents and injuries etc. Text scam, friend injured and needs money.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback