PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Left over Greek yogurt

Options
I got some Fage yogurt in for a visitor, but there is a lot left. Half a big tub so maybe 400g.  Need a recipe, thinking some kind of cake.  Most of the things I have seen so far look rather plain and uninteresting!   I really don't want to waste it!  I can't just scoff it as lactose is a problem for me.

I have plenty of other 'baking stuff' (dried fruit, fresh apples,  chocolate, ginger etc etc) that I could use for flavours.  

Inspiration welcome! What would you make?
[SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
Trying not to waste food!:j
ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie

Comments

• Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I haven't any cake recipes but I'm sure Mary Berry does one!

I use yoghurt for flat breads - Easy flatbread recipe | Jamie Oliver flatbread recipes

You can also make scones with it

you can also use it to marinade chicken i use it for tandoori chicken 
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Penguin_
    Penguin_ Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I was going to suggest pizza bases
  • annieb64
    annieb64 Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Lots of yogurt cake recipes online. I make it quite often and serve it with stewed fruit and cream or ice cream.
  • ArbitraryRandom
    Options
    You can also freeze some or all of it in an ice-cube tray - it's not great to eat directly defrosted, but you can add a cube or two to a curry or soup to add creaminess :) 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    @purpleivy - are you sure your problem is with lactose? If not, I wouldn't think twice about straining it and flavouring it with cardamom / rose / Levantine flavours and mixing in chopped nuts for a delicious dessert: https://www.indianhealthyrecipes.com/shrikhand-recipe/
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • goldfinches
    goldfinches Posts: 2,097 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I'd better say that I'm not sure about the lactose problem so I'm suggesting recipes that I've made and liked myself, sorry if that's not helpful.

I can thoroughly recommend the sauce from this recipe which would be nice with lots of other things if you didn't fancy the courgettes Grilled courgettes with warm yoghurt & saffron butter recipe | Ottolenghi Recipes and the dressing from this one, not to mention the nuts, Oven Fries With Tahini Yogurt and Smoky-Sweet Nuts Recipe - NYT Cooking (nytimes.com).
    Then there is straining it as Rosa mentioned above which makes Labneh and then you can add anything you like to it and store it in olive oil indefinitely. Homemade Labneh: Yotam Ottolenghi’s Labneh Recipe - 2023 - MasterClass
    For sweet things I often substitute double cream with Fage yogurt because I prefer the flavour especially in things like no-churn ice cream. One very successful substitution I made was in this recipe Best No Churn Lemon Ice Cream Recipe - How to Make Lemon Ice Cream (food52.com) where I only had about 100ml of double cream and made the rest up with greek style yoghurt. I've done the same with the ice cream bit of this recipe and it was a big hit Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe with Blackberry | olivemagazine (PS avoid the biscuit part of the recipe, it wasn't nice at all). 
    For baking I've made these buns very successfully Soda Bread Buns With Fennel Seeds And Cranberries | Nigella's Recipes | Nigella Lawson and a friend recommended this cake Yogurt Pot Cake | Nigella's Recipes | Nigella Lawson.

Food 

Food for all is a necessity.
    Food should not be a merchandise, to be bought and sold as jewels are bought and sold by those who have the money to buy.
    Food is a human necessity, like water and air, and it should be available.

From Pearl S. Buck's To My Daughters, with Love.
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    @goldfinches there are some fabulous recipes in your post, a big thankyou from me.

I use leftover yogurt to make an irish soda bread. Its usually made with buttermilk or soured milk. Yogurt just gives a different flavour.
    Really simple, just add a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda to the yogurt and enough flour (I use self raising but it works with plain) to make a dough and form it into a round cut a cross on top and bake it for about 35 to 45 mins at 180. 
    Lovely cut and spread with butter or with soup.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    purpleivy said:
    I got some Fage yogurt in for a visitor, but there is a lot left. Half a big tub so maybe 400g.  Need a recipe, thinking some kind of cake.  Most of the things I have seen so far look rather plain and uninteresting!   I really don't want to waste it!  I can't just scoff it as lactose is a problem for me.

I have plenty of other 'baking stuff' (dried fruit, fresh apples,  chocolate, ginger etc etc) that I could use for flavours.  

Inspiration welcome! What would you make?
    Three thoughts:-

1. How about using it in lasagne, instead of using a white sauce?  Beat in two eggs, before pouring over the top of the lasagne and then covering with grated cheese.  Cooke for the usual time.
    2. Frozen Yoghurt.  I don't have an exact recipe, but I know it is made by blending yoghurt, soft fruits and sugar.  This recipe from the BBC would probably work well.  (We've made it dozens of times using Creme Fraiche.)
    3. Consider how much lactose there actually is in Greek yoghurt. It is approximately half than in the same quantity of regular yoghurt, so about a quarter of the amount found in the same volume of whole cows milk. I found this article from the American Dairy Association informative. 

Note:  I am lactose intolerant and regularly eat 100g of yoghurt without an issue.  However, if I am having more than 50ml or so of untreated cows' milk, I will take a lactase tablet.  I buy mine at H0lland & Barrett.  No more horrible Soy Lattes for me.  (Cheapest lactose-free cows milk is £1.19/L from L!dl.  It lasts for weeks in the fridge, even after opening.)

HTH.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • itsthelittlethings
    Options
    Face mask with yoghurt, strawberries and porridge oats?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback