Challenges with Nationwide switch

2»

Comments

• Largs said:
    sultan123 said:
    What if I open a new account separately and keep some money in there. Switch can go ahead but I have some fall back money in new account?
    Can you not just withdraw some money before switch goes through to tide you over, the card should be with you shortly I would imagine, if ordered on Saturday. 
    Yes but I am thinking worst case scenario, i can open this one and ask work to pay into this bank account until then?
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 13 November 2023 at 11:05PM
    sultan123 said:
    grumbler said:
    sultan123 said:
    eskbanker said:
    sultan123 said:
    But the fact they havent sent me a card nor online reg number is not my fault.

This is my main account with direct debits etc
    I didn't say it was your fault!  The point was simply that switchers can take precautions to guard against such issues....
    My first switch its just turned stressful. Any other advice? 
     I know, it's too late now, but the advice is not to switch your main account for some pathetic bonus and to open a spare account for switching bonuses instead. In this case I don't see how a missing debit card and online banking would have affected the switching process (and the bonus).
    But you have to close your old account to get bons...
    I don't understand your point.
    Yes, you open a spare account first, possibly with the same bank you have the main account with, but not necessarily. Then you switch it to a new account and the 'old' (spare) gets closed. The new account can become your new spare account or, if you like it, a new main account.

• Largs
    Largs Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    sultan123 said:
    Largs said:
    sultan123 said:
    What if I open a new account separately and keep some money in there. Switch can go ahead but I have some fall back money in new account?
    Can you not just withdraw some money before switch goes through to tide you over, the card should be with you shortly I would imagine, if ordered on Saturday. 
    Yes but I am thinking worst case scenario, i can open this one and ask work to pay into this bank account until then?
    Well it sounds like you have answered your own question.  Hope you get everything sorted.
  • are there any bank accounts which can be opened whereby you can get access to online banking without having to wait for a pin to arrive by letter. It seems like easy to register for online banking but access is restricted until letter sent out
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 14 November 2023 at 10:20PM
    sultan123 said:
    are there any bank accounts which can be opened whereby you can get access to online banking without having to wait for a pin to arrive by letter.
    Your current bank? (unless it's TSB)
    Chase? (not sure)

• Did your switch go through?  How long did you wait for the £200. Was it the full ten days?
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Did your switch go through?  How long did you wait for the £200. Was it the full ten days?
    You will receive text  if you are eligible for switching incentive and the stated that it shall be in your account within ten working days. My £200 just come three days after receive the text, so check you current account.
    Sofar I have been lucky with NW.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure