We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

last year!

Options
321p123
321p123 Posts: 101 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 15 November 2023 at 7:44PM in Motoring
Closed thank you

Comments

• Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Take it to another garage and get a quote for the repairs ,might be less or might be more.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • tedted
    tedted Posts: 376 Forumite
    Options
    unless its pooling on the floor greater than 75 mm in five minutes or less its not a fail on the oil leak.what brake readings did they give you?
  • 321p123
    Options
    They gave me no info at all, just the quote of plus 900 Inc service which I didn't ever ask for so took that off and the quote of 740 was given, they have great reviews but I just felt sick when they told me the price.
    There is no dripping oil !!! It's been advisory for about 3 years but as I say I can smell burning oil from engine with windows down in summer ! 
    Shall I ask for readings? 
    Cheers !
  • 321p123
    edited 13 November 2023 at 8:17PM
    Options
    These are listed as all major repair immediately,  but I never have to top my oil up !
    Also they quoted 4 hours labour on these jobs 
  • Ref44
    Ref44 Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Had an advisory on my Zafira at the start of last year saying the flexi coupling was aging. The price for the part then was quoted at £250. Given parts inflation over the last year, the pipe alone will make up a fair part of your quote.
  • 321p123
    edited 13 November 2023 at 8:21PM
    Options
    Ref44 said:
    Had an advisory on my Zafira at the start of last year saying the flexi coupling was aging. The price for the part then was quoted at £250. Given parts inflation over the last year, the pipe alone will make up a fair part of your quote.
    I had it done Jan 2020 and the part was 49 plus 63 labour at .75 hrs
  • 321p123
    Options
    I'd happily pay for the exhaust it's more the other stuff, I'd sure notice a calliper gripping my discs by sound but it seemed fine 
  • Grey_Critic
    Grey_Critic Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 13 November 2023 at 8:29PM
    Options

If the vehicle failed its test why did they do a service? The correct procedure is they should do the test - any faults/fail items are listed and communicated to the customer and no further word done without authorisation. The only cost should be for an MOT. You then have a choice - ask them to repair or as others have said go elsewhere.

I once had a case where they spent over £900 on a service and MOT and then failed it miserably. The customer refused to pay and threatened legal action.

• 321p123
    Options

If the vehicle failed its test why did they do a service? The correct procedure is they should do the test - any faults/fail items are listed and communicated to the customer and no further word done without authorisation. The only cost should be for an MOT. You then have a choice - ask them to repair or as others have said go elsewhere.

I once had a case where they spent over £900 on a service and MOT and then failed it miserably. The customer refused to pay and threatened legal action.

They hadn't carried out a service, I booked it in for a mot only and the lady on the phone who rang to give the bad news said 900 plus inc service, I said whoa I never wanted a service just mot so she took it off the bill reducing from 950 to 740, she claimed I'd asked for a service in the morning, I definitely didn't as it was serviced 2900 miles ago. 
  • tedted
    tedted Posts: 376 Forumite
    Options
    yes get your brake readings
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 237K Work, Benefits & Business