Accused of hitting parked car

2»

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    MenInBlack said:
    I received an email from QMH Aviva about an incident they said that I hit a parked car and provided the car reg and make and model. I emailed back saying I do not know of such incident and to provide me with evidence and damage to said vehicle. My question is do I have a right to ask for evidence and pictures of damage as I'm being asked to defend a claim when there is no evidence. 

Surely the police would investigate a hit-and-run?
    See the other thread... they have no interest in a minor car park fender bender. At absolute most they'll send a producer to the registered keeper but more likely they'll say to let the insurers deal with it.

You didn't answer if Aviva is your insurer or the TP Insurer
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    MenInBlack said:
    I received an email from QMH Aviva about an incident they said that I hit a parked car and provided the car reg and make and model. I emailed back saying I do not know of such incident and to provide me with evidence and damage to said vehicle. My question is do I have a right to ask for evidence and pictures of damage as I'm being asked to defend a claim when there is no evidence. 

How do you know they aren’t?

Pretty unlikely though.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    uknick said:

My experience is they're not interested if there isn't any injury to a person.  My partner's car was hit in the gym car park.  There was CCTV video from cameras in the car park of the other car hitting hers but police weren't interested in even looking at the video. 
    They do investigate if you ask nicely!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/aug/05/ed-balls-fined-road-accident
  • MenInBlack said:

See the other thread... they have no interest in a minor car park fender bender. At absolute most they'll send a producer to the registered keeper but more likely they'll say to let the insurers deal with it.

You didn't answer if Aviva is your insurer or the TP Insurer
    They did! Look on previous page.
  • It's my insurance company who are badgering me and not showing me any evidence. I called them today and they hung up on me so I don't know what they want me to do.
    Here you go, @DullGreyGuy
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    It's my insurance company who are badgering me and not showing me any evidence. I called them today and they hung up on me so I don't know what they want me to do.
    The probability is that your insurers don't have any evidence at this point, it's fairly normal that the TP Insurer sends a fairly basic "we are holding your insured liable" type letter. As your insurer had no record of the claim they reach out to you for your comments and when you deny involvement they go back to the TPI asking them for more detail and supporting evidence. 
  • uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,622 Forumite
    uknick said:

My experience is they're not interested if there isn't any injury to a person.  My partner's car was hit in the gym car park.  There was CCTV video from cameras in the car park of the other car hitting hers but police weren't interested in even looking at the video. 
    They do investigate if you ask nicely!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/aug/05/ed-balls-fined-road-accident
    That was nine years ago and things change.  I think at that time the police were also investigating burglaries  :)

But, I take your point there may be circumstances where they will investigate.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback