PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Seller took out a personal loan for home improvements, can I be held liable?

Comments

• Ksw3
    Ksw3 Posts: 331 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I'm a bit confused. Surely if the loan was for 15k all the things mentioned were paid in full from the funds. It wouldn't make much sense to take out a loan and then pay for items bit by bit from the proceeds. 
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Ksw3 said:
    I'm a bit confused. Surely if the loan was for 15k all the things mentioned were paid in full from the funds. It wouldn't make much sense to take out a loan and then pay for items bit by bit from the proceeds. 
    But that appears to be what the  OP is saying.

The seller took out a loan for the work but is  is paying off the loan bit by bit.

Unless the total cost of the work doen eas more than the loan.
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,314 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Is the solicitor called Lionel Hutz?
  • I suspect the wording of the enquiry has caused confusion, and the seller has answered in a way that suggests that their personal loan is in fact secured. If the enquiry was worded as suggested - then that would explain why,  "credit" can cover a multitude of options. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,033 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    In any event, asking the seller whether they have a secured loan (which doesn't seem to have been the question) isn't really helpful or necessary - you can check more reliably by seeing what is registered.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    baccalad said:
    So I just spoke with my mortgage adviser at Lloyds (I applied direct). There are some notes on my file to say that my solicitor has advised on the current situation with the loan, and someone from Lloyds' post-offer team has spoken with someone at legal, and legal came back and said that it "poses no risk to our security", and that they're happy to proceed.
    So, the bank aren't worried about their security. How do you feel about it?

No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,955 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    When we bought our current home, the seller had to do some work before exchange to get sign off on building regs. This they did, promising the trades that they would pay for it from the proceeds of the house. They never paid and went bankrupt within weeks of completing on the sale. A couple of the trades asked us if we would like to pay (No, we wouldn't), but they didn't threaten to come and remove materials as that would be trespass and the sellers no longer owned the materials.

In your shoes, I wouldn't worry.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • GDB2222 said:
    baccalad said:
    So I just spoke with my mortgage adviser at Lloyds (I applied direct). There are some notes on my file to say that my solicitor has advised on the current situation with the loan, and someone from Lloyds' post-offer team has spoken with someone at legal, and legal came back and said that it "poses no risk to our security", and that they're happy to proceed.

I'm leaning towards, that if it's good enough for the bank, then it should be good enough for me too.

If the bank legitimately thought there was even the slimmest of possibilities that another lender could come chasing me for money and seize items from the property (fixtures and fittings), then that by very definition would be something that affects their security, surely? And if that were the case I imagine they wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,982 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    baccalad said:
    GDB2222 said:
    baccalad said:

I'm leaning towards, that if it's good enough for the bank, then it should be good enough for me too.

If the bank legitimately thought there was even the slimmest of possibilities that another lender could come chasing me for money and seize items from the property (fixtures and fittings), then that by very definition would be something that affects their security, surely? And if that were the case I imagine they wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Wouldn't that depend on how much of a deposit you've put in and what the LTV is?  If your deposit is £10K and there's the chance of somebody wanting £15K of goods back, then there's £5K of the bank money at risk.

I'm guessing your deposit is way more than £15K.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure