Demand flexibility scheme

Options
Krakkkers
Krakkkers Posts: 1,134 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
First winter with smart meters so bear with me.
I am with EON next but have received an invitation this morning by email from LOOP to join their "turn down and save" scheme.
Do i have to wait for EON to invite me to join or can i use LOOP?
How does it work?  Is one apps scheme better than anothers? 

Comments

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 11 November 2023 at 5:01PM
    Options
    You can use either, but not both.
    Last year Loop took a cut of the earnings. I don't recall whether EON Next did. You should compare what they offer.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Eon next did not take a cut but it was a bit variable if people got invited or not. To assist make sure you have 30 minute meter readings selected and opt in to marketing emails (the latter may not be necessary this year) you can only do this on the website not in the app.

The scheme has changed this year so it remains to be seen if it's worth the effort for many
  • ArbitraryRandom
    Options
    If you sign up for loop, can you later withdraw and sign up with your supplier (or would your supplier not then offer as they can see you're already signed up)?
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • mmmmikey
    mmmmikey Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you sign up for loop, can you later withdraw and sign up with your supplier (or would your supplier not then offer as they can see you're already signed up)?

As I understand it, the way the system works is you can only ever be signed up with one supplier, and signing up with a new supplier automatically makes you their customer. So if you sign up with Loop, all you need to do to transfer to, say, EON is sign up with EON and the withdrawal from Loop is automatic. IIRC this was covered in the Q&As when the scheme was launched.
  • ArbitraryRandom
    Options
    So there's no disadvantage to the OP signing up to loop now and if Eon invite later they can do a comparison then. 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • mmmmikey
    Options
    So there's no disadvantage to the OP signing up to loop now and if Eon invite later they can do a comparison then. 
    That's my understanding, perhaps someone else could confirm?
  • MultiFuelBurner
    Options
    I believe the terms this year are whoever puts you in first so if you are signed up to both it's whoever registers your supply into the event first.
  • FIREDreamer
    FIREDreamer Posts: 356 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Anyone been paid for Loop yet? Due by end of April but not heard anything yet.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,131 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Anyone been paid for Loop yet? Due by end of April but not heard anything yet.
    Likewise from Hugo
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • mmmmikey
    Options
    Just checked and got the Loop voucher on 25th April last year so should be any day now. I was with Octopus this winter and one of the advantages of their scheme is you get paid as you go along, usually about 10 days after each event, and their payments are more generous too.

I wonder what will happen later this year - will the scheme run again and if so will it be live events only or will the testing continue? And what will the rewards be like? I got the impression that this fizzled out towards the end as the novelty of making pennies wasn't enough to persuade people to persevere.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback