Migrated from Tax Credits - statement showing entitled to zero

Comments

• Auti
    Auti Posts: 377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Hello OP,  write on your journal that you wish for a mandatory reconsideration as to why you have not received a transitional protection because you are significantly worse off due to managed migration. This is because UC is now giving £0 whereas Tax Credits gave £ (insert amount here). Under managed migration claimants are to be no worse off under managed migration. 

Be prepared to fight! I have a thread on here and am now at MP involvement.
    Good Luck
  • Auti said:
    Hello OP,  write on your journal that you wish for a mandatory reconsideration as to why you have not received a transitional protection because you are significantly worse off due to managed migration. This is because UC is now giving £0 whereas Tax Credits gave £ (insert amount here). Under managed migration claimants are to be no worse off under managed migration. 

Be prepared to fight! I have a thread on here and am now at MP involvement.
    Good Luck
    Thanks Auti.  Yes my understanding was that you should not be worse off.  I have written on my journal to this effect.  So will see what their response is, although they don’t seem particularly quick in getting back to you!  

Good luck with your fight too!
  • Auti
    Auti Posts: 377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    I have printed out the “Policy paper - Completing the move to Universal Credit’ updated 6 June 2022 and have its contents as another lever to use perhaps (as evidence of what was supposed to happen). Photo of relevant page.

• Auti said:
    I have printed out the “Policy paper - Completing the move to Universal Credit’ updated 6 June 2022 and have its contents as another lever to use perhaps (as evidence of what was supposed to happen). Photo of relevant page.

Auti thanks for this.  It says 'eligible households with a lower calculated award in UC than their legacy benefits awards will see no difference in their entitlement at the point they are moved to UC".  Now on my statement is says I am entitled to £368.74 which is slightly more than my last tax credit payment of £364.26 on 7 September.  However, they then take off deductions from my take home pay taking me to 0.  

I will just have to wait for their response following my notes on my journal and take it from there.  At least I got my COL payment on Friday!
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 12 November 2023 at 10:47AM
    mari2315 said:
    Auti said:

Auti thanks for this.  It says 'eligible households with a lower calculated award in UC than their legacy benefits awards will see no difference in their entitlement at the point they are moved to UC".  Now on my statement is says I am entitled to £368.74 which is slightly more than my last tax credit payment of £364.26 on 7 September.  However, they then take off deductions from my take home pay taking me to 0.  

I will just have to wait for their response following my notes on my journal and take it from there.  At least I got my COL payment on Friday!

Yes, if your TC was less then your UC entitlement there's no TP to include. Your earnings has reduced it to zero. Have you reported your health condition, supported by a fit note as advised above?

The reason you were entitled to the CoL payment was because you received a payment of TC during the qualifying period.
  • mari2315 said:
    Auti said:

Yes, if your TC was less then your UC entitlement there's no TP to include. Your earnings has reduced it to zero. Have you reported your health condition, supported by a fit note as advised above?

The reason you were entitled to the CoL payment was because you received a payment of TC during the qualifying period.
    That's not correct - that isn't how transitional protection calculation works. There have been numerous threads covering this point if the OP wants to search - lots of people seem to think that the fact earnings are deducted from the UC award is why they are not receiving transitional protection but it has nothing to do with it. It is not the top line entitlement that is relevant - earnings are taken into account in both tax credits and UC. If the OP was getting an amount of tax credits and is now getting no UC then they need to ask to see their TP calculation. 

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Icequeen1 said:
    mari2315 said:
    Auti said:

That's not correct - that isn't how transitional protection calculation works. There have been numerous threads covering this point if the OP wants to search - lots of people seem to think that the fact earnings are deducted from the UC award is why they are not receiving transitional protection but it has nothing to do with it. It is not the top line entitlement that is relevant - earnings are taken into account in both tax credits and UC. If the OP was getting an amount of tax credits and is now getting no UC then they need to ask to see their TP calculation. 

Thanks. I give up with some of the managed migration rules because i can't get my head around it at all.
  • Icequeen1 said:
    mari2315 said:
    Auti said:

Thanks. I give up with some of the managed migration rules because i can't get my head around it at all.
    It is complicated - but the comparison to work out if a transitional element is due is between the amount a person gets on legacy benefits vs the amount calculated under a notional UC calculation. The legacy benefit amount for tax credits uses the daily rate based on circumstances/income know to HMRC the day before the UC claim is made. The notional UC calculation follows some rules set out in legislation. The important point is that both take into account earnings - and the way the notional UC calculation is done means it is ok that in the actual UC award the transitional element is added before earnings are applied. It doesn't affect things. The bit that is hard to understand I think is that it isn't a comparison between tax credits and the actual UC award - its between tax credits and a notional UC calculation (that may or may not be the same as the first actual UC award). 
  • Thanks poppy12345 and Icequeen1.

Re fit note - I need to have a think about this.  I've also recently had to complete my PIP review.  Waiting for the outcome of that and whether I need a further assessment.  Although I would be very surprised if my award doesn't stay the same -  I'm visually impaired and my sight condition cannot be treated and will not improve, it may be possible I lose more of my sight in the future.  I find the whole process extremely stressful, therefore don't know if I can go through a further assessment re LCW, given that (from Newcad's post) this would only entitle me to an extra £67.61 per month and of course this would only be for a year as I will not be eligible for UC then due to my capital.

Anyway, have asked for my TP calculation so await DWP response.

• Hmm.  Depending on the nature of your visual impairment, the likely two relevant activities would be:

Navigation and maintaining safety using a guide dog or other aid if either or both are normally used or could reasonably be used.
    1. Unable to navigate around familiar surroundings, without being accompanied by another person, due to sensory impairment. 15 points
    2. Cannot safely complete a potentially hazardous task such as crossing the road, without being accompanied by another person, due to sensory impairment. 15 points
    3. Unable to navigate around unfamiliar surroundings, without being accompanied by another person, due to sensory impairment. 9 points
    4. None of the above applies. 0 points
    [This means repeatedly, reliably, and safely, not just a one-off doing it with great difficulty and anxiety.]

And
    Understanding communication by:
    … (ii) non-verbal means (such as reading 16 point print or Braille) alone; … using any aid that is normally or could reasonably be used, unaided by another person.

1. Cannot understand a simple message, such as the location of a fire escape, due to sensory impairment. 15 points
    2. Has significant difficulty understanding a simple message from a stranger due to sensory impairment. 15 points
    3. Has some difficulty understanding a simple message from a stranger due to sensory impairment. 6 points
    4. None of the above applies. 0 points

For LCW you would need a total of 15 points.
    For LCWRA you would need to fulfil the descriptor "Cannot understand a simple message, such as the location of a fire escape, due to sensory impairment." by being unable to read a simple message in 16point print even with aids, and unable to read Braille.

So it very much depends on the nature of your visual impairment, your current abilities and how well any aids help you.  (Although as far as I'm aware and can find, 'aids' are more like glasses, magnifiers, coloured overlays, rather than smart tech like apps such as Be My Eyes or text to speech through taking a photo of text.)

The reading activity also doesn't just mean a one-off, it means whether you could reliably and repeatedly read a simple message in 16-point print or Braille, at any time you might need to (an important point to note, if your vision fluctuates).  So if you think the LCWRA descriptor could apply to you, if you use a screen reader I'm happy to copy and paste the full guidance and explanation of that activity from the handbook because it's a PDF and I'm told PDFs don't work with screen readers.

I'll link it anyway though in case you can use PDFs, it's from page 109  
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/653108e60b5392000da929a0/wca-handbook.pdf
    There's also a .odt version if that would be accessible to you, I don't know what page it is in this though because I can't open it  
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/65310904e839fd0014867179/wca-handbook.odt
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback