Is stoozing worth it in this scenario…?

Hi everyone,

I wonder if people can advise me if stoozing is worth it in the following scenario…

I’ve recently opened a new 0% purchase credit card with M & S that I’m yet to use.

I have an instant access savings account paying 5.2%.

At present I do most of my day to day spending on my Chase debit card (and therefore get 1% cashback on everything). I only move money into my Chase account when I know I’m going to use it and any money moved into Chase comes from the 5.2% instant access account. As soon as my cashback is available in Chase I withdraw it and pay it into my 5.2% instant access account.

My question is would I be better off putting all my spending on the 0% purchase credit card and leaving the money in the 5.2% savings account until I reach the credit limit on the M & S credit card.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,940
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Not sure it's viable to say without more detail - you'd need to model the two methods based on your monthly spending volumes and how they relate to the credit limit, plus duration of your 0% deal and the minimum monthly repayment.
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 3,988
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Normally you'd be better off using the 0% card and keeping the money in a 5% savings account.
    Over a year, on a spend of £100, by keeping it in a 5% savings account you'd earn £5, but only £1 in cashback if spent on the cashback card.
    Obviously this is an oversimplification, as the £100 would diminish over time due to minimum payments, and money spent nearer the end of the 0% expiry date wouldn't earn 5% for a full year 
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • daivid
    daivid Posts: 1,203
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Normally you'd be better off using the 0% card and keeping the money in a 5% savings account.
    Over a year, on a spend of £100, by keeping it in a 5% savings account you'd earn £5, but only £1 in cashback if spent on the cashback card.
    Obviously this is an oversimplification, as the £100 would diminish over time due to minimum payments, and money spent nearer the end of the 0% expiry date wouldn't earn 5% for a full year 
    Though on the cashback card you could earn £12 by spending £100 every month. I don’t think there is an easy answer to this. My approach is 0.5% cashback on a CC for most spending, slow stooze on some big spending (£500 a time) and a stooze pot built up via MT. I haven’t the time or inclination to try to work out the optimal strategy. I do have a Chase card but keep it for foreign use and the rare occasions CCs are not accepted. For big earners and spenders I think an advantage of cashback is that it is interest free whereas with increased saving rates lots of stoozers are having to consider tax on their returns.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 12 November 2023 at 10:24AM

My question is would I be better off putting all my spending on the 0% purchase credit card and leaving the money in the 5.2% savings account until I reach the credit limit on the M & S credit card.

If your monthly spending is more or less uniform, it takes you N months to  reach the limit and during this time you keep all the money you 'saved' on purchases in 5.2% savings account, you earn about 5.2%/12*N/2 =5.2%*N/6 (gross) interest on your credit limit amount. If you spend  the same amount with your Chase card you'll get 1% cashback. 
    Even if N=2 (months)  the former is bigger. As simple as that.
    If after N months you have K months remaining of 0% on purchases, you'll make extra 5.2%*K/12 in interest.
    This rough calculations ignores minimum monthly repayments, but they will make very little difference because even after N months you can keep spending and maintaining high CC balance.
  • If your interest-free period is for more than 12 months set up a monthly saver with Nationwide (8%) or First Direct (7%) and pay your average monthly spending figure (less minimum interest repayments) into this account to maximise interest.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,684
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If your interest-free period is for more than 12 months set up a monthly saver with Nationwide (8%) or First Direct (7%) and pay your average monthly spending figure (less minimum interest repayments) into this account to maximise interest.
    Not forgetting you still have to make minimum payments to CC.
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure