PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Neighbour put us off

13»

Comments

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Just checked mine. Covers the whole police division, from inner city to mega wealthy small towns. You need to hone down from the map to see the hyper local info. Two cases of arson and criminal damage the other side of the park? Certainly not seen a fire anywhere near either site.

The wealthier areas, mainly burglary.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Marvel1 said:

Top reported crimes

Most commonly reported crimes during Sep 2023

• Violence and sexual offences

• Shoplifting

• Public order

• Anti-social behaviour

😯 never noticed myself and feel safe.
    otb666 said:

• Anti-social behaviour

• Criminal damage and arson

• Public order

Just did my area and the results are similar:

Seems as though there are violent and sexual offences happening just everywhere  :open_mouth:

I assume @otb666 does not have a High Street in the area, thus allowing criminal damage and arson to make an appearance.
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Ksw3 said:
    Perhaps ask for a second viewing and see if it changes how you feel about the place? 
    I would be tempted to have a conversation with this neighbour to see how it goes. Perhaps with a large friend in tow. 
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,400 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Over the years we've had a stabbing in our street - police cordon was tied off on our gate post. We also had armed police storm a house over the road due to a young lad posting on Facebook holding a gun. Still feel very safe in our street, and it's a low crime area. Things happen.
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Marvel1 said:
    Is it giving the just street or overall area, my post code is giving the area and September 2023:

Top reported crimes

• Shoplifting

• Public order

• Anti-social behaviour

😯 never noticed myself and feel safe.
    Hi Marvel.
    How close is your nearest shop?!
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Over the years we've had a stabbing in our street - police cordon was tied off on our gate post. We also had armed police storm a house over the road due to a young lad posting on Facebook holding a gun. Still feel very safe in our street, and it's a low crime area. Things happen.
    Some years ago there was dawn drugs raid at our next door neighbours. 18 year old gone off the rails.
    Also more recently some obvious low level narcotics/police activity in two rented houses at each end of the street.
    However overall feels very safe, apart from the occasional bike being nicked and according to the estate agents 'One of ***** most desirable streets !

• Xenon
    Xenon Posts: 233 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 November 2023 at 10:31PM
    I think the OP made the right choice - the opposing neighbour sounds like a right weird oddball... best avoided
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,362 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Xenon said:
    I think the OP made the right choice - the opposing neighbour sounds like a right weird oddball... best avoided
    Or they could return, visit the neighbour, say they're thinking of buying and ask what it's like living in the cul de sac.
    After all, they might not have seen the gesture.
    If that's too hard, take a walk around nearby and get chatting with anyone who looks like a resident. People in more rural locations are easy to engage in conversation and often say more than they mean to!
    Oddballs come in all varieties, and they're everywhere. One experience isn't enough to make a judgement as important as this.
    Forget robot dogs; why not send people to the Moon?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback