Help Employing family member under £123 a week

Options
I am half employed and half self employed and I am wanting to employ a family member for about 8 hours a week for now. 
I am not quite sure on what to do, I have tried following the step by step employing someone for the first time on the gov website but I'm still not sure
It says I don't need to register as an employer as it's under £123 a week so I'm a little unsure what to do next as there doesn't seem to be any guidelines for employing under the £123 threshold.
I know I need payroll - what's the best for just one employee? Free or pay?
on looking they seem to want paye references but I don't need to register for paye as under £123 so I'm a little lost...

so if anyone has some advice on what I should be doing as I'm going round in circles that would be great

thank you

Comments

• SVaz
    SVaz Posts: 255 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    You don’t need to register as an employer or to run payroll.
    I employ my Wife, currently under the LeL, I simply pay her by bank transfer into her own bank account.  Technically  you are meant to provide payslips.

• Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,641 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 November 2023 at 8:46PM
    Options
    Earning under £123 isn't the sole factor, they have to be able to confirm they have no other employment (or maybe no pension income as well).  
  • Andyboy
    Andyboy Posts: 257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Why don't you just give them a weekly contract to do work? They could register as a sole trader and do simple annual self assessment.
    Andyboy :idea:
  • SVaz
    SVaz Posts: 255 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    You can’t be self employed if you only do work for one business. 

• uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SVaz said:

IR35, if this is what you're referring to, doesn't cover sole traders.  I'm self employed and have only one client but I pass the tests as to not being an employee.  I chose what work I do, when I do it and how I do it.  I also have no input in running my client's business, etc..

• norsefox
    norsefox Posts: 202 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    SVaz said:

That's not correct.  There are any number of positions like football referees that work in industries where there is a single monopoly 'employer' but everyone is treated as self-employed.

Referees (ignoring England football's directly employed individuals) including Scottish football and rugby etc would no doubt love to be treated as employees but HMRC have no interest in challenging the current arrangement.
  • EnPointe
    EnPointe Posts: 388 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Andyboy said:
    Why don't you just give them a weekly contract to do work? They could register as a sole trader and do simple annual self assessment.
    becasue it is  quite clearly not  self employment and would likely all the  HMRC tests 
  • uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    EnPointe said:
    Andyboy said:
    becasue it is  quite clearly not  self employment and would likely all the  HMRC tests 
    Did you not read the other comments on this?  It is possible to have one client and be self employed, all depends on what you actually do and how you do it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback