SafeStyle Warranty (via Finance)

Firstly, I'm surprised by the lack of any comment on the main MSE site about SafeStyle going bust and what it means for customers.

We got our windows replaced by Safestyle earlier this year (I know - stupid decision, made under pressure by the salesman and needing a form of finance).

They've had numerous issues since fitting, nothing overly major, but the latest issue was the handle came loose in one of the windows. These were checked by an engineer 2 weeks ago and he diagnosed the locking mechanism needed replacing in a number of the windows. 
So he removed one handle completely (to make it secure), and left the others. Stating he'd get 5 new locking mechanisms for us.

So obviously they won't materialise now, so where does that leave us? Should we simply get the handles sorted by a local firm at our own expense?

We've emailed the finance company as advised on another site, and as per @ashe
comment on the other new post about safestyle.

TL;DR - Is the safetyle warranty really now provided by the finance firm?


  • ashe
    ashe Posts: 1,528
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    The warranty as such isnt provided by safestyle, but they take over the liability due to the collapse of the other company which is why its generally a good idea to pay for expensive products at least part in finance. 

    From Which? website:


    How to complain and get your money back if a company goes bust

    1. Get insolvency details - find out if the business has actually gone bust and get the name and address of the insolvency company appointed as administrator

    2. Submit a claim - write to the administrator to register your claim explaining exactly how much money you’re owed, and what it’s for

    3. Use your warranty - if the retailer goes bust and the goods are faulty, you may have a manufacturer's or other third party warranty that’s still valid

    4. Claim under the Consumer Rights Act - if you’ve been supplied with faulty goods and the company is placed into administration but is still trading, you may be able to get a replacement or a refund for your item in the normal way, under the Consumer Rights Act

    5. Claim from credit card company - if you’ve bought your items on a credit and the supplier goes bust, you can claim a refund from the credit company under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act

    part 5 isn't just you can claim a refund because they've gone bust, but if there is an issue the finance firm is liable. 

Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards