All electric property with air source heat pump

tf106
tf106 Posts: 5
First Post
Forumite
edited 23 January at 2:46PM in Heat pumps
Hi,

My house is all electric and we have an air source heat pump.

We use 7,800 kWh of electricity per annum and are currently on a tariff with peak and off peak charging. 30p per kWh peak and 6p off peak. Off peak is midnight to 5am.

Our split of usage is around 80% peak and 20% off peak and we are trying to push more to off peak.

Our tariff is coming to an end soon, do any providers offer anything similar?

I don’t think we have an Economy 7 meter but it is a smart meter and I am able to see our half hour usage.

TIA

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,577
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Your tariff should have a name on the bill.
    Who is your supplier ? What region are you in ?
    Have you been given a price going forward ?
    Have you compared prices with that use on the suppliers single rate ?
  • tf106
    First Post
    Forumite
    molerat said:
    Your tariff should have a name on the bill.
    Who is your supplier ? What region are you in ?
    Have you been given a price going forward ?
    Have you compared prices with that use on the suppliers single rate ?
    We are with Scottish Power.
    We are in NW England.
    We are actually on an EV tariff but sold the EV a short while ago so the usage figures quoted exclude any EV charging.
    We haven’t been given a price going forward as it’s a bit early yet, just doing some early research.
    Have seen some single rate tariffs at around 30p per kWh so wanted to see if any tariffs with off peak were available.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,774
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 6 November 2023 at 5:11PM
    Strange tariff with only five hours off peak - is it intended for EVs?
    Your smart meter can accommodate E7.
    Do the sums and see whether single rate would be cheaper.  If so, most suppliers can do this without a meter change.
  • If you can minimise peak usage between 4-7pm Octopus Cosy might suit

(Go to https://octopus.energy/tariffs/ and put in your postcode, don't press 'get a quote' just scroll down, then filtering by 'domestic' is helpful)

Otherwise … I'm not sure Economy 7 or similar is that great for heat pumps, unless it's just using weather compensation and working harder overnight when you presumably don't particularly need the heating.
  • MultiFuelBurner
    MultiFuelBurner Posts: 2,812
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 6 November 2023 at 4:13PM
    Move to Octopus and their tracker tariff currently paying an average of under 18p kwh.

You have to have a smart meter 
    "I can lead you to the money saving well but cannot make you drink from it"

As mum always said "don't respond to imbeciles just ignore them" wise words mum 
  • tf106
    First Post
    Forumite
    Thank you for all of your comments. I prefer the certainty of a fixed tariff so will explore further.

I know EV tariffs are designed for EV owners but how much attention to energy providers pay to this? Could I just tick a box to say I owned an EV even if I didn’t?

Off peak charging in the early hours is useful as that’s when I heat out water which stays warm in a well insulated tank. Also, I heat the house at this time which also stays warm thanks to good insulation (a necessity with air source heat pumps).
  • Personally I couldn't get our heat pump to work like a storage heater with just 5-7 cheaper hours of electricity.

If it works for you and you have proved you can over a winter then 

We looked at the Octopus Cost (designed for heat pumps tariff apparently) realistically it's 6 hours cheap (split into two 3 hour slots) 3 hours more expensive and 15 hours price cap rate.

It does have the downside of being expensive 4-7pm and for the ease of use tracker is outstripping this for cost and flexibility right now 

Anyway if tracker did go up we did calculate we could get the average price per kWh down to 23p kWh.

Out of interest then what is your average price per kWh on the way you are running your system in winter time?
    "I can lead you to the money saving well but cannot make you drink from it"

As mum always said "don't respond to imbeciles just ignore them" wise words mum 
  • tf106
    First Post
    Forumite
    Personally I couldn't get our heat pump to work like a storage heater with just 5-7 cheaper hours of electricity.

If it works for you and you have proved you can over a winter then 

We looked at the Octopus Cost (designed for heat pumps tariff apparently) realistically it's 6 hours cheap (split into two 3 hour slots) 3 hours more expensive and 15 hours price cap rate.

It does have the downside of being expensive 4-7pm and for the ease of use tracker is outstripping this for cost and flexibility right now 

Anyway if tracker did go up we did calculate we could get the average price per kWh down to 23p kWh.

Out of interest then what is your average price per kWh on the way you are running your system in winter time?
    Hi, it doesn’t quite work as planned but we try to do as much of the heavy lifting as possible during those off peak hours.

I’ve just looked at Nov 22 to Feb 23 inclusive and it worked out at 23.9p per kWh.
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,731
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 8 November 2023 at 10:09PM
    Most companies now want the proof of a EV.

Do you have under floor heating? A big slow to heat slab would help, And E7 would give longer hrs anyway. But then many complain of over heating in the mornings.

The octopus Cosy tariff seems to only work with the octopus designed high heat heatpump, For most people.
  • I joined the E.on Next NextDrive tariff without, as far as I remember, having to prove that I have an EV.  However any EV will draw a constant power for at least several hours whilst charging so it ought to be fairly obvious whether your house is doing that or not.
    Reed
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure