When do Customs and Excise pay

Options
Our company has been VAT registered for many years, and we always owe them money when we do our quarterly return.
We use Sage software to submit our return and this quarter they owe us a small amount instead. When do they pay? 
My Sage software just says 'Not Paid' against the return, and the money hasn't gone into our account yet. I'm not desperate for it but I'm not sure if I need to do anything positive, or if I just wait?

Comments

• MattMattMattUK
    Options
    Jaco70 said:
    Our company has been VAT registered for many years, and we always owe them money when we do our quarterly return.
    We use Sage software to submit our return and this quarter they owe us a small amount instead. When do they pay? 
    My Sage software just says 'Not Paid' against the return, and the money hasn't gone into our account yet. I'm not desperate for it but I'm not sure if I need to do anything positive, or if I just wait?
    What does it say in your online HMRC account? Normally they do not refund by default, but if they do they generally send a cheque (archaic I know) rather than transfer it to a bank account. 
  • Jaco70
    Jaco70 Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jaco70 said:
    What does it say in your online HMRC account? Normally they do not refund by default, but if they do they generally send a cheque (archaic I know) rather than transfer it to a bank account. 
    I can’t remember how to login to my HMRC account, and my wife isn’t in the office today. If they just deduct it from next quarter bill, that suits me fine. Thank you 
  • uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Our clients get refunds about the same day, and method, they make the payments.  I've never seen them get an cheque.
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A cheque will be issued if you haven't filled in the online form in hmrc online
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Sage? Eek.
  • Jaco70
    Options
    Update on this……I didn’t receive the refund, was very busy so didn’t chase it, and assumed it would be deducted from my next quarters bill. 
    Had a call from HMRC this week questioning the reason for the unusual return, which I was able to explain. Now have to furnish them with about 70 pages of info (mainly eight months of bank statements, detailed VAT breakdown from my accounting software etc), which I’ve already spent hours compiling, scanning etc.
    All for about £ 1400 🙈
  • Jaco70
    Options
    Sage? Eek.
    Interesting that you say that because I’ve found them really good to deal with. I like the info on the screen (in fact I check the balance sheet and profit too often) and if they can’t deal with something on webchat, I usually get to speak to someone very helpful in the North East.
    However my accountant said he has clients who haven’t liked it and have transferred to QB or Xero.
    On the other hand, we use NEST for our company pensions. Worst decision we ever made 🤯

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback