Alternative Fuel Payment - Governments checks via Councils - some may have to repay....

My sister applied for the £200 alternative fuel payment ?December and submitted the invoice as requested and was duly paid. She was contacted 2 days ago by her local council and told that the government had reviewed payments and had requested further information, as part of the suppliers address was missing and told that should she fail to supply it that she would have to return the money. I appreciate that there has to be scrutiny to avoid fraud but I am not sure how the payment was made without the correct information. My sister is lucky and will sort it but I really worry for those who are not so able.....

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,663
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
     I appreciate that there has to be scrutiny to avoid fraud but I am not sure how the payment was made without the correct information. 
    A good number of people got paid based on limited filters being available.  Speed was a priority.

My sister is lucky and will sort it but I really worry for those who are not so able.....
    Conversely, those who got it who were not entitled to it and kept it knew what they were doing.  Its hard to have any sympathy for them.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,573
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    As above, if you applied for it and got it then hopefully you were entitled.

If you applied and weren't entitled the you should not only pay it back but get a fine for a dishonest claim as well.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • vikwikx
    vikwikx Posts: 24
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Has anyone else had a survey from Dept for Energy Security & Net Zero with a £10 e-voucher as reward as I’m not sure if it’s a scam?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback