Dealer stalling on issuing a refund

bigbars
bigbars Posts: 81
First Post
Forumite
edited 3 November 2023 at 9:54PM in Motoring
Hi, just a bit of advice if I may.
I bought a car online as it was inconvenient to visit the vehicle being over 250 miles away, worked out the cost of visiting the vehicle multiple times against the delivery charge and opted for delivery  and arranged for delivery relying on the distance selling regulations to protect my rights, such as 14 day return policy.

Red flags started to rear their heads once agreed, such as same day drive away guarantee which turned out it was a further 2 weeks before delivery due to some work being required, water pump and cam belt replacement, alloy wheels refurbed, thought fine, better for peace of mind to let them take the bill for that as I know it can be pricey if it meant it was one less worry for myself.

petrol wasn't even included in the delivery fee which wasnt explained, promised call backs, details, copies of invoices never materialised when promised. but quick to press for payment. thought I was just being anxious.

Vehicle delivered, all seemed well. The same night after delivery the Check engine light lit up and vehicle stuttered whilst driving for a few minutes, took footage for evidence, reported it via email the next day with video evidence, no response, happened a further number of times within the first week, still no response. Discovered part of the stereo touch screen not functioning. I begin to worry about this as I know engine lights are vague and can be an indication of bigger problems. Touchscreen is a faulty panel. I'm willing to keep the vehicle of the dealer responds and rectifies the issues. No contact.

Appointment only which a number of office based dealerships are these days, but I decide to put it down as an unlucky experience and due to no contact I return the vehicle regardless as I'm still within the 14 day period. Made to wait 40mins, deny ignoring or avoiding my communications but get a signed form to say the refund will be paid within 14 days which is by today. even received a call from their customer satisfaction dept as to how the experience of the vehicle has been, seems they weren't aware that I returned the vehicle 2 weeks ago, they claim they will speak to the salesman as to the whereabouts of my refund, more fake apologies, I say fake, as I know in this world they are trained to apologise, be remorseful, etc. but none of it genuine. don't get me started on why they insist on up to 14 days for a refund...

So I got to this morning which is the 14th day, no refund. I call the dealer, I'm put through to the accounts department, who give me more fob off and "trained" apologies that they were not aware and will process it by COB. No refund.

Just curious what ground I have here. I could formally complain to the ombudsman, and the dealer again, just intrigued if there is anything I've missed or could do to push this along, even though i am still in limbo, as I cannot buy another vehicle without my money back, doubting what more i can do and doubt I can get compensation of any kind for their unprofessional business practices. It was purchased by bank transfer and I read if i had done so with a credit card or debit card I could have sought a chargeback via my bank but not sure if that applies with a transfer.

Even more annoying is the fact after having annual car tax for 1 week. I had to submit an online query for the car tax refund, as the dealer will not do a v5 transfer until the 14 days has passed and I will lose 1 month in the rebate which lo and behold DVLA quote can take 4-6 weeks to process... cant get a break ! but that's a moan for another day !!

But any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• my advice would be to take a car for a test drive in future and buy locally.
  • bigbars
    First Post
    Forumite
    edited 5 December 2023 at 2:04PM
    my advice would be to take a car for a test drive in future and buy locally.
    I hear you!! And thanks for the advice.
    Unfortunately its just the risk you take buying used cars. The light could come on months later or days, some issues can be predicted by checking running or maintenance. some not, some are intermittent.

I weighed up the fact that distance selling should give me protection in effect a 2 week test drive. Sometimes you don't have the possibility or availability to buy locally. For example, If i had bought face to face, and the light came on a week later, its then yours and the seller can deny knowledge of any fault or that you created the issue, then its your problem. You then have to foot any repair yourself.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    bigbars said:
    Unfortunately its just the risk you take buying used cars. The light could come on months later or days, some issues can be predicted by checking running or maintenance. some not, some are intermittent.

I weighed up the fact that distance selling should give me protection in effect a 2 week test drive. Sometimes you don't have the possibility or availability to buy locally. For example, If i had bought face to face, and the light came on a week later, its then yours and the seller can deny knowledge of any fault or that you created the issue, then its your problem. You then have to foot any repair yourself.
    There's always an element of risk with second hand.. but if they are local at least you can pop back to get issues sorted. I've seen too many horror threads on hear to consider buying a car hundreds of miles away unseen.
  • Stubod
    Stubod Posts: 2,138
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 4 November 2023 at 1:09PM
    I don't think I could ever buy a car without physically seeing it and driving it first....
    (I accept that this is of absolutely no help to the OP.....).
    .."It's everybody's fault but mine...."
  • bigbars
    First Post
    Forumite
    You live and learn !
    Engine faults are rarely consistent which they could easily have knowingly concealed during any inspection or test drive. I know this from experience, as with my previous car I had a negative experience with a main dealership after a minor service when they refused to accept liability for an engine problem when the light was cleared by the AA and an engine fault light wasn't coming on  when they inspected it.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,657
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    bigbars said:

You have short term rights up to 30 days from purchasing a car, to return it if it is faulty or not as described.

• bigbars
    First Post
    Forumite
    sheramber said:
    bigbars said:

You have short term rights up to 30 days from purchasing a car, to return it if it is faulty or not as described.

Thanks, I've already returned it. They just haven't issued me my refund after 14 days as defined in the terms.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,657
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    bigbars said:
    sheramber said:
    bigbars said:

Thanks, I've already returned it. They just haven't issued me my refund after 14 days as defined in the terms.
    It is not for the current position.

You mentioned you would not be able to return a car bought face to face.

That is not correct. You have 30 days to return it if faulty or not as described when you buy face to face.
  • Stateofart
    Stateofart Posts: 268
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

So many people on here buying a car off a picture and then wishing they hadn't.  It's worth the 250 miles to check, as the hassle afterwards can amount to more than the journey.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,620
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    How was the car paid for? Bank transfer? Any finance?

Do you have evidence of the car being returned?

How much was the car?

If it's financed, then contact the finance company who'll have a lot more sway in getting money back from the dealership. If you paid it all by bank transfer then try the bank.

Failing that, you can always send them a Letter Before Action, telling them if the money isn't paid within 7 days you'll take them to court.

The month's tax is pretty much gone, but it shouldn't take as long as 6 weeks', that's just the worst case.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback