Persistent Leak

Options
Hi everyone,

I’m hopeful the wonderful people of MSE can help me again.

i’ve had a persistent leak for years, as long as i can remember anyway. Ultimately I think partly responsible for my daughters room in the loft getting mould and issues (not the sole factor and never proven), there is a link in my profile to show the state and thousands of pounds later and a lot of hard work it’s an amazing room.

Anyway back to the leak, I have had 2 window surveyors out, I’ve had a building and 3 different roofers. The window people said it’s a building problem, the builder said it’s a roof problem.

The last batch of work included checking the window, correcting some bad flashing and broken tiles, now the leak itself doesn’t always happen, my best guess is it’s directional, like tonight 02/11/2023 it’s leaking quite bad as per attached video. But it doesn’t always seem to be.

i have request the previous roofer to come out again however he’s injured from a fall recently during the bad weather trying to help people out when he really shouldn’t of been. I’m waiting on his recommendation and another to come check it over, they both beleive it could be the “eves”?

I wondered has anyone seen anything like it before? And can offer guidance I really don’t want to have to pay thousands again to redo upstairs, nor look at a new roof as I’ve been told it’s fine. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• CashStrappedTeen89
    CashStrappedTeen89 Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 November 2023 at 1:42AM
    Options
    Attached are photos as I can upload the video but I’ve marked the window it’s happening on and the area the water gets in on.

• stuart45
    stuart45 Posts: 4,043 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The gutter looks full of vegetation.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,765 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    stuart45 said:
    Yup, clear the weeds & moss out of all the gutters, and check that the downpipe isn't blocked. That will certainly reduce the amount of water overflowing and soaking the wall. If you don't have a long ladder or dislike heights, a window cleaner should be able to do the job very cheaply.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • CashStrappedTeen89
    Options
    stuart45 said:
    Apologies the photo of the window from the outside is older and the gutters have been completely cleared and cleaned. Still ongoing.
  • CashStrappedTeen89
    Options
    FreeBear said:
    stuart45 said:
    Yup, clear the weeds & moss out of all the gutters, and check that the downpipe isn't blocked. That will certainly reduce the amount of water overflowing and soaking the wall. If you don't have a long ladder or dislike heights, a window cleaner should be able to do the job very cheaply.

Apologies the photo of the window from the outside is older and the gutters have been completely cleared and cleaned. Still ongoing.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 2 November 2023 at 8:13AM
    Options
    Make sure the underfelt is lapping in to the gutter.

The long gutter on the right that overlaps the shorter gutter does that have a stop end on it or does it drain in to short gutter?

As well as the gutters are clear are you sure the downpipe is completely clear so there is no back-up?

Is the downpipe for the long gutter definitely clear too?
  • stuart45
    stuart45 Posts: 4,043 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The best time to check your gutters is when it's hammering down. You often see it when you stop work and sit in the truck, gutters overflowing and soaking the wall. That short length of gutter takes quite a large area of the roof, so a deep flow one might help. You can see excess water has made the pebble dash a bit bald.
    Water running down a wall will often run back into the window head. Drip edges are often formed in the render to throw it away. Rendered walls are more of a problem than soft brick walls, as all the water runs down the wall. 
    Water can also come down from the eaves, although this usually soaks the masonry inside higher up as well.
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,970 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 2 November 2023 at 11:10AM
    Options

Most leaks are hidden, and only become evident when they cause stains and mould. Yours is there, seemingly crystal clear.
    So - where are these drops coming from?
    Kitchen paper and sellotape - stick tell-tale bits up and down that window frame - and tell us where - exactly - they appear from.
  • CashStrappedTeen89
    Options
    Lorian said:
    Make sure the underfelt is lapping in to the gutter.

The long gutter on the right that overlaps the shorter gutter does that have a stop end on it or does it drain in to short gutter?

As well as the gutters are clear are you sure the downpipe is completely clear so there is no back-up?

Is the downpipe for the long gutter definitely clear too?
    I’ve been told by the chap who does it for me the flow looked good. I’ve asked him to come back out and check both though to confirm. If not I’ll borrow some ladders and head up.
  • CashStrappedTeen89
    Options
    stuart45 said:
    The best time to check your gutters is when it's hammering down. You often see it when you stop work and sit in the truck, gutters overflowing and soaking the wall. That short length of gutter takes quite a large area of the roof, so a deep flow one might help. You can see excess water has made the pebble dash a bit bald.
    Water running down a wall will often run back into the window head. Drip edges are often formed in the render to throw it away. Rendered walls are more of a problem than soft brick walls, as all the water runs down the wall. 
    Water can also come down from the eaves, although this usually soaks the masonry inside higher up as well.
    I think I may have to accept I need to go up. I’ve tried to avoid by having someone out to clean the gutters and check the roof but I think I’ll just go up myself and check 🤦‍♂️. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback