Sofas and stuff issue

Hi All,

I ordered a sofa from the above back in July/August. It is a corner sofa at a cost of just over 4k. I was given the option to pay 50% up front and I would be contacted to pay the remainder before delivery. This didnt happen. They delivered the sofa without asking for the remainder. My issue is they have now asked for it but in the meantime, I have had the opportunity to discover that the product really isn't worth the price tag! I splashed out on this as I thought I was buying quality. They are saying they will restuff the cushions but only when it is fully paid for. My stubborn brain says why would I want to pay more for an inferior product? My last sofa cost 2k from DFS and frankly was better than this! Lasted me 6 or 7 years. Please can anyone tell me what if any rights I have here please? They are saying they will set lawyers onto me.... (£380 per hour no less.....) by 1pm tomorrow unless I pay up.

Comments

  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,797
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 30 October 2023 at 2:40PM
    Msbanana said:
    Hi All,

    I ordered a sofa from the above back in July/August. It is a corner sofa at a cost of just over 4k. I was given the option to pay 50% up front and I would be contacted to pay the remainder before delivery. This didnt happen. They delivered the sofa without asking for the remainder. My issue is they have now asked for it but in the meantime, I have had the opportunity to discover that the product really isn't worth the price tag! I splashed out on this as I thought I was buying quality. They are saying they will restuff the cushions but only when it is fully paid for. My stubborn brain says why would I want to pay more for an inferior product? My last sofa cost 2k from DFS and frankly was better than this! Lasted me 6 or 7 years. Please can anyone tell me what if any rights I have here please? They are saying they will set lawyers onto me.... (£380 per hour no less.....) by 1pm tomorrow unless I pay up.
    What on earth...?!  Is there more to this than you are letting on?  How long ago was it delivered and when did they ask you to settle the balance?  Have you behaved unreasonably or "gone legal" yourself prematurely or something?  It seems completely over-the-top for what looks like a perfectly respectable and established retailer to threaten legal action in 24 hours' time, so I suspect there's more to this situation, surely?

    Aside from the legal stuff, at this stage it doesn't sound like it's faulty, and the matter you've raised has a proposed solution.  You withholding £2,000 seems entirely unreasonable and I don't see you have any immediate rights other than a resolution of a fault if there is one.  What outcome are you seeking?  A full refund?

    Edited to add:  If you ordered online and it's arrived in the last 14 days, you do have a right to return it for a refund.  That option isn't available to you if you visited the store and tried the sofa.
  • Hi, No, I haven't gone legal. They asked me for the balance a couple of weeks ago for the first time. At which time I told them that as it stands, it is not worth any more than I have already paid for it as the cushions are flat despite constant attention! As I have already said, they have claimed they can redo the stuffing on the cushions, but only when it is paid for. The £380 is a direct quote from the 'CEO' allegedly who felt the need to tell me that is what their lawyers charge per hour.  

    As you said, it is a resolution of fault that I am looking for. This sofa simply isn't worth £4k. I would like them to rectify it before I hand over the rest of the money.

    So you think I am being unreasonable? Thats kinda what I want to know. Their attitude to this has just got my back up, especially their super passive aggressive CEO.... so I am in need of some detached advice. Thank you.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,641
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You have not told us    was this an internet order or bought in store?

    Were you given the care instructions with the sofa or in store?

    Seat cushions

    It’s really important that you give your cushions some regular TLC. We recommend plumping your fibre or feather filled cushions daily to keep them looking lovely and make sure they don’t lose their shape. If you’ve opted for a fibre cushion, regular rotating will help the filling settle evenly.



  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 13,344
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Msbanana said:

    So you think I am being unreasonable? Thats kinda what I want to know. Their attitude to this has just got my back up, especially their super passive aggressive CEO.... so I am in need of some detached advice. Thank you.
    From what you've said it doesn't sound like you raised any concerns about the quality until they asked you for payment, is that correct?

    As already asked, how long ago was the delivery?
  • It was bought in store. They had a display version of my sofa and I went in several times before buying it. No I didn't raise any concerns as there wasn't any point. If they hadn't asked for the rest of the money I would've considered it square. I have had it a couple of months now.... I thought I had said that. And I do plump it every day. It is a nice sofa, but the cushions have flattened more than I expected them to. It was great when it first arrived as I am tall and it was lovely not having to drop quite so far to sit down.... now I am back to dropping lower again. I do take care of things. I don't just expect them to stay nice all by themselves. Care instructions were with the sofa and have been adhered to. The delivery guys were excellent. No issues there whatsoever. My only issue is being asked to pay the remainder before they will take any remedial action at all. I don't even know if they will when it is paid for!
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,797
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Msbanana said:
    It was bought in store. They had a display version of my sofa and I went in several times before buying it. No I didn't raise any concerns as there wasn't any point. If they hadn't asked for the rest of the money I would've considered it square. I have had it a couple of months now.... I thought I had said that. And I do plump it every day. It is a nice sofa, but the cushions have flattened more than I expected them to. It was great when it first arrived as I am tall and it was lovely not having to drop quite so far to sit down.... now I am back to dropping lower again. I do take care of things. I don't just expect them to stay nice all by themselves. Care instructions were with the sofa and have been adhered to. The delivery guys were excellent. No issues there whatsoever. My only issue is being asked to pay the remainder before they will take any remedial action at all. I don't even know if they will when it is paid for!
    Ah, so you're holding their sofa ransom until they fix a problem or write off £2,000.  I can see why they've reacted as they have.  You considering a 50% discount as being a 'square' deal for some soft cushions is unreasonable.

    Personally, I think the two matters (debt and 'fault') are unrelated.  Pay the outstanding balance and accept their offer to resolve the problem.  Holding them ransom is not the way forward, and they're entitled to pursue you for the balance, especially since the problem sounds a relatively simple one to resolve.

    Look at from their point of view.  If they come out and re-fill the cushions and you still refuse to pay the balance, they're still £2,000 down plus the extra costs of resolving your problem.
  • Thank you. Yes I see what you mean. I hadn't come at it from that perspective. I will get it sorted.

    Best wishes
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards