DRO help please!

Options
jak
jak Posts: 2,027 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Asking for my partner:

Debt relief order applied for and approved, 2019. A month before the end date, £4,000 inheritance received. Declared to DRO and then DRO was cancelled due to the money received. 
No-one is chased the debts at all which total approx £15,000. 

Credit report is just showing 2 debts, one from BT and one overdraft. Total is just over £1,000. 
What happens now? Does he just pay what is showing on the credit report if possible? No contact received from either of these debts. 
Does he just leave it? 

We are planning to move in together at some point (not yet) but would like to figure this out first so it doesn't effect me. Anyone got any advice at all?
Many thanks,
JAK
xxx 
2022 Comp total (prizes + free spins): £494.81 #20 £12 a day Jan: £382.95/£372 #57 360 1p challenge: £17.70 £10 a day Feb: £571.09/£280 March: £311.96/£310

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,893 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    With only one month to go I would have been sorely tempted to keep quiet and say nothing about the inheritance, but I guess you did the right thing, and you are where you are.

Lots of creditors are still bemused by debt relief orders, they basically confuse them with bankruptcy and IVA`s, and end up not knowing what to do in a lot of cases, especially when they fail so close to completion.

They have another 3 years to chase these debts before the limitation period is up, and any defaults are automatically removed from his file, best advice is to keep ignoring them, unless they write to you, only letters require a response, so until or unless that happens, just carry on as they say.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As long as you have no joint accounts/take out credit jointly with your partner nothing on their credit record will impact on you. 
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • jak
    jak Posts: 2,027 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Brilliant, thanks guys.  My fear was the impact on myself when we move in together. I worked REALLY hard to get myself and my son into a good financial position. So no joint credit moving forward. We don't have any joint accounts so that's ok. 
    Many thanks for the responses.
    JAK
    xxx
    2022 Comp total (prizes + free spins): £494.81 #20 £12 a day Jan: £382.95/£372 #57 360 1p challenge: £17.70 £10 a day Feb: £571.09/£280 March: £311.96/£310
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback