Fence and Neighbour Dispute Help

Hi All, 

I have a fenced off area at the bottom of my garden behind a 7ft fence panel which measures around 4ft across and maybe 3 ft lenght, this was never fenced off when we moved in to match the rest of the garden as it couldn't easily be accessed. 

The next door neighbour has told me I need to fence this section in as their new dog keeps getting into it through the very small and broken fence in this section between my and their garden (the left hand side so my fence side. I have said that due to a number of reason im not able to do anything about it (im the home owner, they are renting on their side) but if its causing them an issue then they should and are welcome to put something up on their side to stop the dog from getting in, or that their landlord can.

They are threatening me with legal action saying its my responsibility to sort this out and that they will send me any vet bills if their dogs hurts its self etc. 

Any ideas where I stand on this? As I have said there is no way I am able to sort this out my self mainly due to health, lack of money and lack of easy access to the srea. 

Comments

• 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,632
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 30 October 2023 at 10:29AM
    Rare for the deeds to specify the requirement for a particular type of border, but check them to be sure. If it doesn't you could in theory take all of the fencing on your side down and just mark the boundary in some other way and there would be nothing they could do.

The only other thing to make sure of is that where the dog is getting through is safe and the dog will not get harmed by the fence itself (i.e. no sharp edges or nails). provided that is not the case, then there is little they can do as far as I know of.

If you want to keep the peace, maybe offer to put something over the hole on their side of the fence if access from your side is not possible.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    They are threatening me with legal action saying its my responsibility to sort this out and that they will send me any vet bills if their dogs hurts its self etc. 

Any ideas where I stand on this? 
    Wish them luck.
  • It's the neighbours responsibility to keep his dog on his property it's not your responsibility. As has already been suggested you could take down the entire fence and just string a piece of wire along the whole length of the garden.
    Bloody cheek......people who rent property are not entitled to anything over & above that which an owner occupied could expect to receive.
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,458
    Forumite
    edited 30 October 2023 at 11:39AM
    Nicely point out that they have got this wrong. A lot of folk do. Like my neighb... (Following storm Harry, tetchy visitor to next door asked when I'd fix it as her dawg can get through! I meekly fixed it. She was well scary... :neutral: )
    Ask them to 'please Google the situation regarding fences and keeping dogs on one side of the other of a boundary'. And to come back to you if they can show that it's your responsibility.
    They just don't know - that's all. Probably...
  • Thanks all thus far. Don't get me wrong I do sympathise and if I were able to either health or finically wise then I would sort the space out properly but I cant access it, before I moved in the small space looks to have been used as a dumping ground for concrete foundations from my garden  as it was then fenced in, the small fence between me and them in this section cant be seen from my garden at all and looks to have collapsed into this space over the years, They haven't mentioned it previously as they have previously used their garden maybe a few times a year and have a number of sheds which are part broken near to the fence but now they have a new dog its an issue. 

There is also bad blood from a few weeks back when I had to contact their agent to fix some broken guttering from their side which was discharging water onto my conservatory roof and they were not happy about me going to them. 
  • I don't understand why you are sympathising with them. It's their dog & their responsibility.
  • I don't understand why you are sympathising with them. It's their dog & their responsibility.
    Only as I can see how frustrated I would be if it were the other way round, that said if it were me and I was on that side it would take all of 5 mins to stick something up to make it safe and secure and I wouldnt even bother kicking up all this fuss. 
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,458
    Forumite
    edited 30 October 2023 at 1:01PM
    Thanks all thus far. Don't get me wrong I do sympathise and if I were able to either health or finically wise then I would sort the space out properly but I cant access it, before I moved in the small space looks to have been used as a dumping ground for concrete foundations from my garden  as it was then fenced in, the small fence between me and them in this section cant be seen from my garden at all and looks to have collapsed into this space over the years, They haven't mentioned it previously as they have previously used their garden maybe a few times a year and have a number of sheds which are part broken near to the fence but now they have a new dog its an issue. 

There is also bad blood from a few weeks back when I had to contact their agent to fix some broken guttering from their side which was discharging water onto my conservatory roof and they were not happy about me going to them. 

At least you know what they are like... Tsk, you reported their leaking gutter!
    They should have no concerns, no issues, about you - rightly - going to the house owner. Why that affects the tenant, I don't know. But...not...your...problem.
    It could be that they are being sooo careful not to give the LL any excuse to chuck them out. I wonder if they are even allowed to have a dog?! In the current climate, there are limited available rentals, and rents can be sky-high. These folk should be walking on eggshells.
    Don't 'avoid' them. If they have something to say, then counter it. 
    "Why did you go to the LL about their gutter?" - "Because it's their house, and their responsibility. I didn't want to bother you, as it isn't your problem. What do you think I should I have done? And why?"
    "Fix the hole in the fence!" - "Have you actually checked out who has responsibility for securing a boundary to contain a dawg? Uh-huh, so why are you asking me to do this?"
    Qs if you can. Not statements. Qs :-)
    And, any issues, you can always contact the LL again. Imagine if you did, and asked the LL to fix the fence?! Hmmm, now that could be a good 'threat' to use...
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,305
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    I don't think that's a threat.
    It's educating them on property ownership.

Definitely worth checking whose fence it is just so you know where you are but you aren't obliged to do anything.

If anything, they are not in control of their dog. Should it hurt itself that isn't your problem either. You didn't invite it. It's trespassing, uncontrolled on your land.

Sweetly let them know that to work on that fence you need to inform the landlord of work being undertaken so will contact them shortly.
    I think you'll find they've blocked that hole pdq  :)

Sorry you've got such daft 'apeworths next door for a while. Happens to all of us,at some time.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport