Underground leak options?

Options
For reference, this is under Scottish Water area.  I don't think we have water meters (in Scotland it's all included in Council tax).

We've had an underground leak for a while now, we've had numerous plumbers and Scottish Water out to try and find the source which they all seem unable to do.
They've concluded that the leak "might be" or is "probably" from a leaking T piece that is underneath my neighbours kitchen extension.  There is apparently no way to find out without digging up the concrete foundations of this extension.  
A plumber / engineer (not sure what his role is) at Scottish Water has suggested that the only recourse is to lay a new pipe and connect it up which is likely to cost "thousands" and means removing flooring, this cost will be split between 3 terraces houses (one is a council house though so not sure how that will work).

I don't really have the cash at the moment to be able to afford this getting this work done and I'm not sure the insurance will cover it (they certainly wouldn't cover Trace and Detect).

Do we have any options that we maybe haven't considered?

Comments

• 35har1old
    35har1old Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 29 October 2023 at 10:36PM
    Options
    For reference, this is under Scottish Water area.  I don't think we have water meters (in Scotland it's all included in Council tax).

We've had an underground leak for a while now, we've had numerous plumbers and Scottish Water out to try and find the source which they all seem unable to do.
    They've concluded that the leak "might be" or is "probably" from a leaking T piece that is underneath my neighbours kitchen extension.  There is apparently no way to find out without digging up the concrete foundations of this extension.  
    A plumber / engineer (not sure what his role is) at Scottish Water has suggested that the only recourse is to lay a new pipe and connect it up which is likely to cost "thousands" and means removing flooring, this cost will be split between 3 terraces houses (one is a council house though so not sure how that will work).

I don't really have the cash at the moment to be able to afford this getting this work done and I'm not sure the insurance will cover it (they certainly wouldn't cover Trace and Detect).

Do we have any options that we maybe haven't considered?

Where,s the external stopcock for your supply
    If the leak is before this it would be down to water service to repair or replace in NI as we Don,t pay a water charge either 
  • sleepyjones
    sleepyjones Posts: 6,087 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Literally no clue, sorry.
    There's a Stopcock under my kitchen sink, and there's a wee metal grid outside on the street (front), I assume that's what that is but I dunno.
    The leak is at the back of the houses.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure