New Gov.uk Probate Application

Options
I am wondering how many people have used the new gov.uk probate application online? Are they finding it a quicker / Straightforward service?

I submitted the requested original will with my application the 3rd week of August. Currently it's still on the documents received (step 2). 

Personally I found it very straightforward to this point ( not sure if I'll get asked for more info when it is in review).

My case I am hoping should be relatively simple due to it being a "excepted estate" as so I've not had to submit any IHT info as everything is being passed on to surviving partner and below the relevant allowances.

Comments

• deewillow
    Options
    Hi @andyalt2001 I'm at exactly the same stage/timing as you with my mums application.  Probate applied for online on 16th Aug, documents sent by courier & signed for on 17th Aug but didn't show as being received until 5th Sept. No IHT to pay here either but I needed to complete the IHT400 form plus various supplementary ones to use the RNRB and transferable allowance from previously deceased father. Sent them off to HMRC. Had letter back as acknowledgement from them that they passed the 421 summary form over to HMCTS Probate team. Very simple will - 2 daughters only. And will drawn up by solicitors and properly witnessed etc. So hoping no queries on that side of things? But nothing updated on probate status since. Not showing as 'in review' yet. No idea whether that status is updated or whether suddenly you get get the grant? If we get it by christmas i'd be happy - as the 16 weeks quoted seems a bit hit and miss. Reading online it seems that some people suggest chasing after 16 weeks - if you are able to get through on the phone.
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I did a digital Probate application earlier this year and my status went directly from documents received to Grant issued on the day that I got the email to say that it had.  I think the 'Application in review' refers to when it might be paused if they ask for more information - rather than when they're actually looking at it.

The reason for the delay between physical receipt of the documents in the post and it saying so in the progress bar is that the docs are actually received at a third party company that scan the documents and then link them to your application at the Probate service, so that's the point where it shows as received.
  • Klmy
    Options
    Hi Andy I submitted my application at the end of the 2nd week of August and received an email last week to say they’d reviewed it and some info is missing. Seems HMRC forgot to upload the IHT421 form  :# (We have inheritance tax to pay)  Hopefully that means you’ll hear from them very soon
  • deewillow
    Options
    Just a follow on from earlier post - probate was granted on Saturday and the actual certificates received yesterday in the post (Wednesday) - so that was a surprise, was expecting it to take a week or so. 

• pphillips
    pphillips Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 25 November 2023 at 8:13PM
    Options
    Online probate application submitted 27th September.
    Documents acknowledged as received by probate office on 2nd October (it was an excepted estate and so only the original will needed to be provided).
    Currently it's on the reviewing application stage.
  • andyalt2001
    Options
    Probate just been granted (so relieved!) End of August submitted. 
  • butterfly6522
    Options
    Hello
    We applied in November and have had to send further document in which was done over a month ago now and it is still saying "in Review" we are now at 16 weeks, tried to call but just get "you can do this all on line " now you can hang up - no option to actually speak to anyone 
  • Jowwie
    Jowwie Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It has been a year since I went through this process. I found the webchat better than phone. First thing in the morning was quickest webchat response.
  • pjs493
    pjs493 Posts: 321 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I submitted my application in late November and it was granted in late January. I’d checked the evening before Probate was granted and it was still at the ‘documents received’ step. At about 0830 the following morning I got the email stating that Probate had been granted. I logged back in and sure enough it seemed to have skipped the ‘application in review’ step. 

My application was straightforward; my husband’s will was only a few years old and he left everything to me except a few sentimental items and a charitable donation. It had been drawn up by a solicitor, correctly witnessed, etc. I suspect the ‘application in review’ step is when there is a hold up of some kind or it needs looking at by a supervisor, etc. 

I received the Grant of Probate in the post the next day, so it all happened quite quickly for me compared to a lot of other people. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback