🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Warm Home Discount

Options
factor29
factor29 Posts: 203 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
I've had a letter confirming I was eligible on the 13th August. 

Since then I've moved in with my partner (who was also eligible on 13th August), and it is her name on the energy bill. 

Google suggests I should still get my payment somehow as I was eligible when I needed to be (and that this would be paid to my old supplier the same as if I had changed supplier since), but I'm not sure - does anyone know the answer? 

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    factor29 said:

Since then I've moved in with my partner (who was also eligible on 13th August), and it is her name on the energy bill. 

Google suggests I should still get my payment somehow as I was eligible when I needed to be (and that this would be paid to my old supplier the same as if I had changed supplier since), but I'm not sure - does anyone know the answer? 
    Yes, that sounds right.  You're not with your supplier any more so they have to get the money to you some other way, not through your (now nonexistent) energy account

Please update us though when you know the outcome for sure.  With governmental processes like this, very often there's how things are supposed to happen, then there's reality …
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    factor29 said:

At a guess based on what you described, old supplier gets the money, they then send you the money via cheque or something.

So same as if you closed an account which had credit.

As spoonie said please update the community with what happens.
  • factor29
    Options
    Sainsburys have (after telling me an outright no) told me that if I am in the core group (pension credit only?), then they would be liable to pay me in this scenario.
    However, they say if I am in the border group, I would have to apply separately through my new supplier. But I don't have a new supplier, so looking like I wont get anything? Seems a bit backward with the 13th August being the eligibility date. 
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 27 October 2023 at 4:39PM
    Options
    factor29 said:
    Sainsburys have (after telling me an outright no) told me that if I am in the core group (pension credit only?), then they would be liable to pay me in this scenario.
    However, they say if I am in the border group, I would have to apply separately through my new supplier. But I don't have a new supplier, so looking like I wont get anything? Seems a bit backward with the 13th August being the eligibility date. 
    Are you in Scotland?

It's possible Sainsburys are in the middle band of having enough customers to be obligated to provide the WHD for pensioners in the Core Group, but not enough to be obligated to provide it for the Broader Group.
  • factor29
    Options
    factor29 said:
    Are you in Scotland?

It's possible Sainsburys are in the middle band of having enough customers to be obligated to provide the WHD for pensioners in the Core Group, but not enough to be obligated to provide it for the Broader Group.
    No, I'm England
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    factor29 said:
    factor29 said:
    Are you in Scotland?

No, I'm England
    Then what they said made even less sense.  There is no broader group any more, only core group 1 (pensioners on pension credit) and core group 2 (everyone else who qualifies).
  • ArbitraryRandom
    Options
    You said "Google suggests I should still get my payment somehow as I was eligible when I needed to be..." 

I don't suppose this was an official .gov or website or similar (ofgem/citizen advice etc)? 

If it was, you might be helped by sending a screen shot of that guidance to your old supplier? 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • factor29
    Options
    factor29 said:
    factor29 said:
    Are you in Scotland?

No, I'm England
    Then what they said made even less sense.  There is no broader group any more, only core group 1 (pensioners on pension credit) and core group 2 (everyone else who qualifies).
    Thanks, I'll go back and question this. TBH, they dont seem to know at all considering the huge change in replies so far. 

You said "Google suggests I should still get my payment somehow as I was eligible when I needed to be..." 

I don't suppose this was an official .gov or website or similar (ofgem/citizen advice etc)? 

If it was, you might be helped by sending a screen shot of that guidance to your old supplier? 
    Nothing for my *exact* circumstances, only if someone had moved supplier/home really. I've sent that to my old supplier already. 
  • factor29
    Options
    Sainsburys have today asked me to phone the DWP to check I am eligible. Despite receiving a letter stating I am eligible.  :D

Cant see me getting to the bottom of this one!
  • ArbitraryRandom
    Options
    ... could you respond to them saying 'I have received confirmation I am eligible - please see attached letter'? ;)
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 4 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure