virgin is coming

Options
northernstar007
northernstar007 Posts: 477 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 23 October 2023 at 9:47PM in Broadband & internet access
hi all, as the topic says my house is getting virgin
couple of questions, the road works are getting done in stages, im looking at online roadworks and it seems like virgin are not going right inside the estate as no rd works planned is that normal
also ive just had a flyer through th letterbox telling me its coming, its penciled in online work to last 2 weeks start of dec now how long before i can connect to virgin and also ive looked at the deals online, will a sales rep come along and offer me something which is only for there sales reps
and what discount should i be looking aiming at
btw i want internet only no calls and no tv just internet

Comments

• phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    hi all, as the topic says my house is getting virgin
    couple of questions, the road works are getting done in stages, im looking at online roadworks and it seems like virgin are not going right inside the estate as no rd works planned is that normal
    also ive just had a flyer through th letterbox telling me its coming, its penciled in online work to last 2 weeks start of dec now how long before i can connect to virgin and also ive looked at the deals online, will a sales rep come along and offer me something which is only for there sales reps
    and what discount should i be looking aiming at
    btw i want internet only no calls and no tv just internet
    Look at these and other comparison sites.

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/topcashback-compare/
    https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/
    https://www.moneysupermarket.com/broadband/
    https://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk/broadband

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/price-comparison

• northernstar007
    edited 10 November 2023 at 4:16PM
    Options
    update
    engineers got rd pulled up next street down, engineers walking around my street inc outside my house putting some markings on the rd outside my house (anyone tell me whats that for)
    i asked them am i getting connected they said yes, i then asked when will it be connected there was a virgin guy there who looked at his paperwork and said its booked in for mid feb but we are ahead of time so it could be a lot earlier
    he said keep an eye on some leaflets coming through your post

will keep u all updated as it goes
  • northernstar007
    edited 9 December 2023 at 4:27AM
    Options
    incase if anyone is taking any interest a update
    digging is well underway in my street, trench has been dug up right across stright outside my drive and all cables llayed and re tarmac, big hole right outside my house with boards up, i did notice the cables are feeding the rest of my street , was about 15 issh i just had a quick glance, which these is 12 more houses in my street, and looks like there houses are next to be put tenches and holes in to the ground
    spoke to groundwork guys and said when its at this stage you should be installed before christmas
    only thing i have noticed that they are not going right inside the estate only doing the outskirt where the main road is, which seems strange to miss out and just as many house fully occupied being missed out
    anyway the street really is upside down
    we will see what happens next
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,635 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    northernstar007 said: digging is well underway in my street, trench has been dug up right across stright outside my drive and all cables llayed and re tarmac, big hole right outside my house with boards up
    Sounds like you might be getting a big ugly green box right in front of your house. Best to check the condition of your fence and make any repairs before the cabinet gets plonked down.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What is your alternative to Virgin?

They aren't cheap and have a habit of bumping up their prices in any way they can. They are also notoriously difficult to move away from.

If you have a great need for high speed Internet then you may have little choice but whatever you do, negotiate hard and read the terms and conditions.

I'm presuming you are out of contract with your current provider otherwise there is probably an early termination fee to pay. 
  • northernstar007
    Options
    hi all sorry about the delay, no green ugly boxes outside my house
    you can see where they have been in the street with the new tarmac down
    im going to go ahead and have it installed, they have frozen the price so no increase from the 1st april set at pre april prices, i am pre warned of future increase at end of contract then give then notice and move if they try and bump it up
    what really is getting to me is with openreach, about 3 year ago i noticed a few openreach vans in the area and thought nothing of it, now i find out the next street down, which there cables goes past my street in the same duct, the houses were all built together, that part of the estate had fttp installed, now i see virgin didnt go to that part when they were doing mine as bt are already there, so 2 fingers upto openreach when you do come to my area you have lost out

im due to be installed mid april, i will let you all know what i think of it
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 3,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    What's your fallback plan for 18(?) months time when Virgin decide to double your price at contract renewal? 
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 24 March at 9:42AM
    Options
    FTTP for new builds from Openreach has been available for many , many years, initially requiring a small contribution from the developer, if the developer ( builder ) were not prepared to make a small contribution they were provided with Openreach copper pairs …..in the last 5 or 6 years at least , even the small contribution was removed so FTTP is now the default standard …..if there are new builds near you that have FTTP , that’s quite normal, they were probably built after your property.

Obviously it’s your choice who you use , but it’s a pretty ridiculous reason to not  consider Openreach if and when they do provide FTTP in your location, because they haven’t provided it sooner , using your own  logic you shouldn’t be considering Virgin , because they have never previously bothered with your area either , at least you had some service, if Openreach had taken the same view as Virgin , you wouldn’t have any landline based services at all.
  • kimwp
    kimwp Posts: 1,786 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Neil49 said:
    What is your alternative to Virgin?

They ..... have a habit of bumping up their prices in any way they can. They are also notoriously difficult to move away from.
    This is my experience and why I will never go back to them, even if they have the cheapest deal at the time.

What started at about £20 a month would easily creep into £40+ after the initial period was up, I was constantly having to negotiate it back down (into the £30's, I'm not the best at negotiating good prices)
    Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

For free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.
  • keanefan
    keanefan Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been with Virgin Media (or their previous names, earliest I remember is Nynex) since 1995.
    I have tried to leave many times but of course they always undercut the others. The problem is I am severely sight impaired so struggle with small print and navigating all this. My contract runs out in May. 
    There are personalised offers online for me with Virgin, but it seems it doesn't work if you try to accept online; you have to call the retention team and they can't give you the online offer only a much higher one.
    This is why I would like to switch provider but don't know which would be OK. Can anyone recommend one?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback