PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2023 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• wishus
    wishus Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Meals planned for the week:

Tonight: shepherds pie
    Tue: pork steaks and mash
    Wed: veggie enchiladas
    Thur: 50/50 bolognese and pasta
    Fri: fish, wedges, peas. And that's after payday, so I'll plan weekend meals later.

I'm afraid the last grocery trip bust the budget. £38.47, takes me to £213.51

Hot tip for tasty lunches... I made a slow cooked beef stew in the instant pot, but when it was ready the sauce was not very thick, so I put some of it back in the pot straight away with rice, mushrooms, spring onion and peas. when that was done, spread it out on a tray to cool quickly. OH had tasty beefy rice to eat for 2 of his lunches this week!
    Back in debt again, but for a good cause. £17K to go

April Grocery Challenge: £198.36/200

Decluttering 852/2024 Awards 🥇
    (18/04/24)
  • @wishus thankyou for the red onion roti recipe which I have copied into my MSE recipes file. I might give it a try later on this week, goldfinches.

Food 

Food for all is a necessity.
    Food should not be a merchandise, to be bought and sold as jewels are bought and sold by those who have the money to buy.
    Food is a human necessity, like water and air, and it should be available.

From Pearl S. Buck's To My Daughters, with Love.
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,757 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Final shop done for November (£82.49) so my total is £305.27/£320.00

I did make a bit of space in the freezer but have now added pigs in blankets portioned up for the HT's December/Christmas roast dinners.
  • I’m upto £342.54 / 350. Will need milk before Friday but other than that everything is stocked up for the rest of the week. 
  • mumtoomany
    mumtoomany Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Last shop of the month. Just two bottles of milk from local petrol station. Needed nothing else, so not worth the petrol to drive to town, nearly ten miles away. Cost £3.40. Total spend for the year now, £1731.06/£1860. I will have £128.94 left for December. We are away from the 22nd till 27th, so should be achievable. Hugs to all, mumtoomany.xxx
    Frugal Living Challenge 2023.
    Trying to live on only £2640 for the year for most meals for seven people. Now only feeding, mostly, two. New total £1860.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414174/im-back-trying-to-spend-less-on-food#latest
    Spent in 2023: £1846.53/£1860. Now on £96.08 for 2024
  • My total spend for this week so far is around £20.
    I spent around £8 in Lidl and also on cheese spread and some cereal bars and low calorie treats I like as I'd run out. They should last me a little while.
    The only thing I may need is some fruit later in the week.
    I'm really trying to resist unnecessary spending a with the yellow stickers.
    I'd buy so much, especially vegetarian stuff if I wasn't careful.
    Decluttering campaign 2023
    2 🏅🏅 + 1 ⭐️
  • LadyWithAPlan
    LadyWithAPlan Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 29 November 2023 at 11:53AM
    Happy nearly December everyone ;) 

Anyone got a great savoury recipe for puff pastry?
    As I am GF it’s rare I cook pies or with GF pastry as it’s difficult  but my £2.50 jusrol GF puff pastry deserves to be treated royally with a fab filing! Never bought premade puff pastry before esp GF but it was a treat  (yes living life on the wild side)

Update to my yesterday Grocery shopping ... 
    Grocery spend (inc free money I spent)  hard to split as we on 29th so much is for next month so 
    £198.70/£150  grocery    + £29.13/£100bulk 

I am not tracking annual spend - some of your numbers are v insprining  but I am  about to try YNAB from Dec 1st for a year as want to track all spends and have detailed reports in 2024. I have a London home to buy ;)

I passed the huge mr Sains on way home  from an event and went in to use one of my double points vouchers 
    I had swapped £10 of nectar points for £20 - twice and £20 into £40 but they need using up by Xmas.
    It was fun spending money for  free and I bought a couple things I wanted to try but won’t normally spend money on: 
    Some GF puff pastry  £2.50! Maybe a chicken pie from chicken left after I roast my FR corn fed one or something else fabulous  
    GF Schar bread it’s gorgeous but £3 for small one 
    Plus some bulk stuff l can’t get in Mr L so GF plain flour, edamame frozen, frozen blueberries, GF pasta,
    fresh mint and 2 x DF yogurt for the Chermoula dish 
    rollmop herrings
    red peppers on nectar savings

I did buy one pack of Fruitali***ous  by Hari**sweets and ate them and my bill was £23.23 so I only had to pay £3.23 after the £20 voucher - I had done shop and scan so didn’t know how to put things back ...

so fridge and freezer are now fuller and feel better as I had defrosted it recently so less HM food in there and want to build it up.  I have unpacked the veg in plastic and put in bowls in the fridge for carrots, satsumas opened the mushrooms,  for longer life and it looks quite cute too - I have read about people putting damp kitchen towel  in there to keep things fresh for longer ? Ideas? 
    I have mint in the plastic packing - should that be put in damp roll?

There will always be a (beautiful stilettoed) foot in fabulous in LaPlan's life.
    I am choosing to be fabulously frugal to support some wonderful life changing and affirming financial goals including buying a London home I love.

DON'T BUY STUFF (from Frugalwoods)
    No seriously, just don’t buy things. 99% of our success with our savings rate is attributed to the fact that we don’t buy things. You can’t really hack your way to frugal. You can and should take advantage of discounts, coupons, rewards points, and the like. But at the end of the day, the only way to truly save money is to not buy stuff.    Money doesn’t walk out of your wallet on its own accord.

My March  streaks to track
    Track Minimalist game  items (Nov 310)   (Dec  95)  (Jan 90)   Feb 50
    Exercise streak  
    YNAB days:: Target 50 days -Age of money 29
    Track my NSD's - Target 13 days/ 0/13

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6289577/future-proofing-my-life-deposit-saving-then-mfw-journey-in-under-13-years#latest
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback