Can I keep this item?

Jennym254
Jennym254 Posts: 44
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 21 October 2023 at 1:48PM in Consumer rights
I ordered an item online but then cancelled the order and my money was refunded.  This was months ago and the order was originally due for delivery in August (I think).  Now I’ve received an email confirming shipment of my order and confirming ‘refunded’.  I replied asking why I had received the email because the order had been cancelled and refunded.  I haven’t received a response but the item is due to arrive on Monday.  Can I legally keep it?
«13456

Comments

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,529
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    No. You need to arrange to send it back.
    Life in the slow lane
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,467
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Jennym254 said:
    GingerTim said:
    And I think you know that.
    I didn’t order it, why should I be inconvenienced by the inability of the seller to actually cancel the order?
     Keep it, expect to come back asking for help when you start receiving debt collection letters 
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,735
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Jennym254 said:
    No. You need to arrange to send it back. 
    Why should I be inconvenienced by the seller’s inaptitude?
    Arranging to send it back does just mean phoning/emailing them and asking when they want to collect it. It doesn't mean you having to take it down the post office etc
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi,
    why would you want to keep when you had cancelled the original order?
  • Andy_L said:
    Jennym254 said:
    No. You need to arrange to send it back. 
    Why should I be inconvenienced by the seller’s inaptitude?
    Arranging to send it back does just mean phoning/emailing them and asking when they want to collect it. It doesn't mean you having to take it down the post office etc
    Thank you, I’ll wait for it to arrive and then email them again giving 14 days to arrange collection.  I suspect they won’t even bother to reply.
  • Hi,
    why would you want to keep when you had cancelled the original order?
    It’s a matter of principle, if you’re given too much change in a shop do you automatically run straight back to the shop?
  • marcia_ said:
    Jennym254 said:
    GingerTim said:
    And I think you know that.
    I didn’t order it, why should I be inconvenienced by the inability of the seller to actually cancel the order?
     Keep it, expect to come back asking for help when you start receiving debt collection letters 
    Debt collection letters for something I haven’t ordered? 
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,467
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Jennym254 said:
    marcia_ said:
    Jennym254 said:
    GingerTim said:
    And I think you know that.
    I didn’t order it, why should I be inconvenienced by the inability of the seller to actually cancel the order?
     Keep it, expect to come back asking for help when you start receiving debt collection letters 
    Debt collection letters for something I haven’t ordered? 
     If you keep it they're going to expect to be paid and chase you for it. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards