EDF Fix - Free Escape

Ayr_Rage
Ayr_Rage Posts: 801
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
Forumite
I was on a fix ending May 2024.

Tried calling to move to SV, no joy, cannot authorise fee waivers.

Went onto the WhatsApp chat, requested to move to SV without the 2 x £150 fees, after a bit of back and forth the agent advised they would waive any fees.

She was unable to do the tariff change herself but advised me to do it online via MyAccount and if the fees appeared then get back on the chat and she would contact the relevant department to reverse the charges.

Tariff changed online, instant email to confirm I would move the following day and the £300 added to my account balance.

Straight back onto chat, advised fees showing, the nice lady escalated the fee reversal request as promised.

Three hours later the £300 charge was removed.

Tariff change appeared in MyAccount overnight and to my surprise the IHD also had the new rates when I checked this morning.

Email confirmation of tariff change and the contract details appeared at 0126.

My electricity unit rate is now down 23% and gas 29% albeit with an increase in both SCs.

I am now a very happy bunny.


Comments

  • Ayr_Rage said:
    I was on a fix ending May 2024.

    Tried calling to move to SV, no joy, cannot authorise fee waivers.

    Went onto the WhatsApp chat, requested to move to SV without the 2 x £150 fees, after a bit of back and forth the agent advised they would waive any fees.

    She was unable to do the tariff change herself but advised me to do it online via MyAccount and if the fees appeared then get back on the chat and she would contact the relevant department to reverse the charges.

    Tariff changed online, instant email to confirm I would move the following day and the £300 added to my account balance.

    Straight back onto chat, advised fees showing, the nice lady escalated the fee reversal request as promised.

    Three hours later the £300 charge was removed.

    Tariff change appeared in MyAccount overnight and to my surprise the IHD also had the new rates when I checked this morning.

    Email confirmation of tariff change and the contract details appeared at 0126.

    My electricity unit rate is now down 23% and gas 29% albeit with an increase in both SCs.

    I am now a very happy bunny.


    Now switch to Octopus lol
    "I can lead you to the money saving well but cannot make you drink from it"

    As mum always said "don't respond to imbeciles just ignore them" wise words mum 
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 801
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    @MultiFuelBurner I've just had a look at Octopus, unit rates are exactly the same as with EDF but I would save an incredible 4.24p per day on standing charges.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 20,753
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I have a sufficiently high lack of confidence in EDFs abilities to do anything right that I would be keeping a VERY close eye on my account in case that £300 suddenly reappeared. You did keep transcripts of both chats I presume? (I am assuming that the email didn’t confirm the fee waiver?)

    Well done on achieving your win though - it could be of benefit to a lot of other EDF customers stuck on now expensive fixes to know that it is possible if you get hold of the right person! 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 801
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 21 October 2023 at 7:36AM
    @EssexHebridean, I took screenshots of the chat and was surprised how fast the exit fee was removed from my current balance figure after I advised the agent it had appeared.

    The email did not mention waiver of fees and as per the last line of this chat, no chat or email confirmation yet although the charge has gone.

    I think I've got it wrapped up pretty tight with this transcript.


  • Ayr_Rage said:
    @MultiFuelBurner I've just had a look at Octopus, unit rates are exactly the same as with EDF but I would save an incredible 4.24p per day on standing charges.
    Do you have a smart meter and fancy a dabble at tracker?
    "I can lead you to the money saving well but cannot make you drink from it"

    As mum always said "don't respond to imbeciles just ignore them" wise words mum 
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,479
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    @Ayr_Rage - consider yourself extremely lucky ! As I was going to be put back up to my higher fixed tariff when the Govt. EPG ended, I asked to be put on the SVT with the fees waived as many others had reportedly achieved.
    Despite many emails /chats and promises , I got stung with the exit fees!. I wouldn't mind if only EDF had been consistent - but they are clearly still flying by the seat of their pants !!!
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 801
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    @brewerdave I was quite surprised myself with over 7 months left of my 2 year fix that they agreed the move, especially to the SV and not another fix.

    I chanced my arm following other reports here of fee-free escapes.

    For the others following this, the charges appeared in my account balance then disappeared a few hours later.

    Nothing appears at all in any other sections on MyAccount, no fees added or subsequent credit to match them, it is as nothing has happened apart from a tariff change.

    I also use the Bright app and that is the only place where the new tariff is yet to appear, all previous updates there are showing as DCC derived so I guess that will happen later.

    I am keeping a close eye on everything !
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 4,983
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 22 October 2023 at 5:16PM
    Ayr_Rage said:

    I also use the Bright app and that is the only place where the new tariff is yet to appear, all previous updates there are showing as DCC derived so I guess that will happen later.

    I am keeping a close eye on everything !
    You can set your own custom tariffs now on the Bright app. Funny that this app never seems to work properly on the weekends though.
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 801
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Today was my DD date for my Whole Bill Monthly and all that was taken was the expected amount for usage, the £300 has never appeared in the transaction history, it was only there in the account balance for those three hours as posted before.

    I did not get any confirmation that the fees were waived despite what the agent said in the WhatsApp chat.
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 801
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Update : The £300 fee never reappeared.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 341.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards