Advice required. New house which solar tariff?

carlb
carlb Posts: 7
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hi all,

About to move into a new built house with 12 solar panels, 6.5kw storage and with heat pump, plus have wondrwall system installed.

First thoughts Octopus,  but which tariff or is there another tariff out there which the Forum can recommend. 

Thanks in advance, 

Carl

Comments

• Netexporter
    Netexporter Posts: 1,042
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Octopus has the most TOU tariffs. There's bound to be one to suit you. Have a look at their website and see what suits your usage pattern the best. Some, like Flux, are fine if you don't want to get too involved, but there are others, like as Agile, that you can potentially pay less/make more money from, if you are prepared to pay the market a bit.
  • PascalG
    PascalG Posts: 52
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    carlb said:
    Hi all,

About to move into a new built house with 12 solar panels, 6.5kw storage and with heat pump, plus have wondrwall system installed.

First thoughts Octopus,  but which tariff or is there another tariff out there which the Forum can recommend. 

Thanks in advance, 

Carl

My first thoughts are that you will need supplemental heating if you have a heat pump.  An old neighbour of mine gave me his Gas Boiler which had been replaced under warranty, he had replaced everything.  £15k on heat pump, all radiators had to be changed into some weird type, pipework was everywhere (not hidden) and all had to be lagged.  He said he never feels warm as toast as his did with his gas boiler and that is with two of what are basically electric heaters which use huge energy.  He was lucky he got a good deal on his solar tariff which he says is no longer available.  
    {Signature removed by Forum Team - if you are not sure why we have removed your signature please contact the Forum Team}.
  • matt_drummer
    matt_drummer Posts: 1,313
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    PascalG said:
    carlb said:
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance, 

Carl

My first thoughts are that you will need supplemental heating if you have a heat pump.  An old neighbour of mine gave me his Gas Boiler which had been replaced under warranty, he had replaced everything.  £15k on heat pump, all radiators had to be changed into some weird type, pipework was everywhere (not hidden) and all had to be lagged.  He said he never feels warm as toast as his did with his gas boiler and that is with two of what are basically electric heaters which use huge energy.  He was lucky he got a good deal on his solar tariff which he says is no longer available.  
    Carl,

Please don't listen to this person.

None of what they say is true.

I have a heat pump that was installed in June this year.

We started heating for the first time on Saturday, its working really well and cheaper than the gas boiler it replaced.

I have solar panels and batteries too.

I have used Octopus Flux during the summer and switched last week to Cosy Octopus.

I couldn't be happier.
  • I wonder , do you own the rights to the exported energy from these panels? Or do you just have the right to use the energy generated for your own consumption, I understand that some homes have the export rights assigned to a third e.g. the developer.?
    Just a question really.
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • matt_drummer
    Forumite
    I wonder , do you own the rights to the exported energy from these panels? Or do you just have the right to use the energy generated for your own consumption, I understand that some homes have the export rights assigned to a third e.g. the developer.?
    Just a question really.
    Do you think that still happens?

Maybe in the FIT days but I can't see how it is possible now that FIT has gone?

Have you heard of this happening and how does it work if you have?
  • carlb
    Forumite
    I wonder , do you own the rights to the exported energy from these panels? Or do you just have the right to use the energy generated for your own consumption, I understand that some homes have the export rights assigned to a third e.g. the developer.?
    Just a question really.
    All stated is part of the purchase,  so I am free to do what I want.
  • I wonder , do you own the rights to the exported energy from these panels? Or do you just have the right to use the energy generated for your own consumption, I understand that some homes have the export rights assigned to a third e.g. the developer.?
    Just a question really.
    Do you think that still happens?

Maybe in the FIT days but I can't see how it is possible now that FIT has gone?

Have you heard of this happening and how does it work if you have?
    I think you may be right about FIT, but I just asked the question since we won’t know 
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • carlb
    Forumite
    PascalG said:
    carlb said:
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance, 

Carl

Carl,

We started heating for the first time on Saturday, its working really well and cheaper than the gas boiler it replaced.

I have used Octopus Flux during the summer and switched last week to Cosy Octopus.

I couldn't be happier.
    I have lived in a new build before and with the 'modern'  insulation mid winter our room temp was only 16 degrees!
  • matt_drummer
    Forumite
    carlb said:
    PascalG said:
    carlb said:
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance, 

Carl

Carl,

I couldn't be happier.
    I have lived in a new build before and with the 'modern'  insulation mid winter our room temp was only 16 degrees!
    Why?

My living room is 23c at the moment and I have consumed 3.8 kWh of electricity today on my heat pump. That includes heating our hot water tank.

The outside temperature is currently 16c

• carlb
    Forumite
    carlb said:
    PascalG said:
    carlb said:
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance, 

Carl

Carl,

I couldn't be happier.
    Why?

My living room is 23c at the moment and I have consumed 3.8 kWh of electricity today on my heat pump. That includes heating our hot water tank.

The outside temperature is currently 16c

My old house didn't have a heat pump and temp refers to was the thermostat setting and why..  as the house was warmer than setting and therefore insulation was v efficient!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback