TV Licence

Options
I know this has been asked a thousand times, but I had a letter saying we were being investigated despite using the declaration to say we don't watch live TV etc. 

My partner checked tge TV licence website and now it states you need a licence if 

"If you live stream the latest series"

No we have just watched the lastest TV series of the fall of the house of usher. 
Now, technically speaking
1 its a new series and
2 it's streaming 
via netflix. 

I'm sure tv licencing justbwant to scare people into buying a licence but they could at least define the requirements clearly?

Comments

• Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 October 2023 at 2:18PM
    Options
    I think you've missed the important distinction between live streaming and streaming.

Live streaming refers to something that's being aired and watched in real time.

A TV Licence is intended to cover any live TV. The reason they mention specific apps/services is to prevent people watching live TV through a streaming service thinking they don't need a licence.

Of course, I've no doubt they're not against 'accidentally' give off the false impression that using any streaming service for anything = tv licence required, as you have thought.
    Know what you don't
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,863 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    "being investigated"

Aye ok. This essentially amounts to them trying to peer through your windows or someone on your doorstep admitting wrongdoing. There are no detector vans and they have no right of access to your home without a court order.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,048 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Given that everyone with a TV used to watch live TV it was obvious that everyone needed a TV license.  Not everyone with a TV watches live TV any more and as there's no way for Capita who deals with the licenses to know who does and who doesn't they just send a standard threat to anyone without a license.  

Their investigation consists of them asking if you watch live TV (or use BBC iPlayer).  You answer "no" and they go away for 2 - 3 years before doing a new investigation.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • x_raphael_xx
    x_raphael_xx Posts: 4,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Brie said:
    Their investigation consists of them asking if you watch live TV (or use BBC iPlayer).  You answer "no" and they go away for 2 - 3 years before doing a new investigation.  
    Yeah I get a letter very couple of years, I just need to re-confirm I still don't need a TV licence.
    I only watch youtube and occationally re-sign up to netflix
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • oldernonethewiser
    Options
    I get one of their threatening letters every month and have been receiving them over the last few years.  I have had the full cycle of letters in all the different coloured envelopes.  All go in the recycling.

I have no need of a TV licence. 

I have never contacted TVL and have no need or intention of doing so.

Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I get one of their threatening letters every month and have been receiving them over the last few years.  I have had the full cycle of letters in all the different coloured envelopes.  All go in the recycling.

I have no need of a TV licence. 

I have never contacted TVL and have no need or intention of doing so.
    I haven't had one of their letters for a while now. Have never made a declaration, and the one time I had one of their officers salemen banging on my door, he got a very curt response.
    If they were a proper and legitimate organisation, they would conduct an investigation, and on finding no breach of legislation, cease their activities. But then there is no profit/commission if they can't get a sale.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • BlueonBlue
    Options
    Who sent the letter and who was it addressed too ie was your actual name on the letter ?.

• iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 20 October 2023 at 9:01AM
    Options
    TBH , the OP states that the letter states
     “If you live stream the latest series", live stream being the point , watching something on Netflix or even a streaming service that’s part of a traditional broadcaster ( like ITVX ) provided it’s not the ‘on-line’  version of the program being broadcast, then that doesn’t break the rules , obviously it’s impossible to ‘live stream’ current Netflix shows  , and unless they move into live streaming , ( of sport for example) everything else is video on demand VOD , 
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,679 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 20 October 2023 at 11:10AM
    Options
    I know this has been asked a thousand times, but I had a letter saying we were being investigated despite using the declaration to say we don't watch live TV etc. 
    I get letters from TV Licensing every month saying I am under investigation/someone is going to come and bang on my door at any time of day or night, they have been sending them for two years now, nothing has happened and nothing will happen. 

Edit to add: The reason I do not have a TV license is that I do not need one, the reason I have not used their online notification form is that it requires one agrees to let their "agents" into the property.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    TBH , there has probably never been an easier time to claim ( and be believed ) that no broadcast TV is being watched ( or using the BBC Iplayer ) , so I doubt they do much other than send speculative letters , pre ‘fast’ internet, I bet the majority who had a TV but stated they never watched anything but DVD’s so didn’t need a licence we’re probably not telling the truth , but obviously even then there may have been a few genuine ones , 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback