Monthly subscription for a CV

Does anyone know where i stand or have been in the same position?. I realised recently that i have been paying monthly for a CV via debit card which i first registered for over 3 years ago. I didn't realise it was being taken every month, no renewal notices etc were ever sent, just the initial email. The company can see that the account hadn't been accessed and I have been employment for over 2 and a half years. They have refunded some but a fraction of what i have paid out. I am not sure if I am covered as it was a debit card payment and not a direct debit. Any advice would be great.

Comments

• cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 4,896
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    KAYAM0011 said:
    Does anyone know where i stand or have been in the same position?. I realised recently that i have been paying monthly for a CV via debit card which i first registered for over 3 years ago. I didn't realise it was being taken every month, no renewal notices etc were ever sent, just the initial email. The company can see that the account hadn't been accessed and I have been employment for over 2 and a half years. They have refunded some but a fraction of what i have paid out. I am not sure if I am covered as it was a debit card payment and not a direct debit. Any advice would be great.

Other than the goodwill of the company - likely nothing more. A learning to ensure you regularly check your bank statements for deductions to ensure everything is accurate.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,800
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'm not sure how it being a direct debit would have made any difference.  If you signed up to a subscription with automatic renewal, it's up to you to cancel it when it's no longer needed.  It sounds like they've done a partial refund for goodwill, so I suspect that's all you're going to get.  Have you checked the contract to make sure they've adhered to it when it comes to renewal notices, etc?
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,684
    Forumite
    I'm afraid as ML often likes say. Check your statements monthly....

If they have refunded some of the money you have done well 👍No way to claim it back any other way.

While you have not accessed your account with them, they do not know you are employed. Unless you gave them access to your bank acc to see wages coming in.
    Life in the slow lane
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 13,366
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

While you have not accessed your account with them, they do not know you are employed. Unless you gave them access to your bank acc to see wages coming in.
    And being employed hardly prevents you from looking for jobs anyway!
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,182
    Forumite
    KAYAM0011 said:
    Only in some regulated industries must a company advise you of your upcoming renewal etc. Excluding those it purely comes down to the T&Cs you agreed to when you signed up to the service. If they advise they'll notify you then you have grounds for complaint, if they dont say they'll notify you then they're not under any obligation to do so. 

As others have said, they real advice is about avoiding similar issues in the future by both reading what you are agreeing to (most of us dont) and check your bank statements regularly 
  • Yeah it is my own fault, will check what was on the original email in regards to renewal etc otherwise will be grateful for what I got, thanks for the advice, note to self, check my monthly statements 🤦‍♀️ 😀
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback