Delayed delivery cost me extra £200 approx

Options
yota
yota Posts: 16 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I am a bulk gas customer with Calor Gas and when running very low on gas in August (22nd) this year contacted my Calor supplier and ordered a total fill for my bulk gas tank. At that time the unit ppl for gas was less than 70p. 
For whatever reason they did not deliver until end of September when the price was at 80ppl and of course the bill was substantially higher.
I spoke to Calor about this and they say they charge the price on day of delivery. A cynic would probably say that the delay was intentional as they were aware of coming price increase but I want to know how I stand legally in respect of what price I should have been charged.
Had the ppl decrease would they have charged me the lower price,,,, i think not

Comments

• powergen_insider
    Options
    Think not or know not?

If it's the first, then your assumption is nothing more than a conspiracy theory.

Have you been charged the price on day of delivery every other time you filled up?
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • yota
    Options
    Look, Im not into conspiracy theories and can say that as far as I know Ive always been charged the price of gas on the day of ordering. 
    Since changing my supplier to Calor over a year ago its the first time I have had to refill my bulk tank.
    The question I ask is whether it is legal for them to charge the higher price.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 16 October 2023 at 10:10AM
    Options
    It sounds as though you are out of contract?
    Recent posters on the "other fuels" forum have been obtaining 2-year LPG contracts at less than 50p/litre. You might want to consider this?
    Other fuels:

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • QrizB
    Options
    yota said:
    Since changing my supplier to Calor over a year ago ...
    So you do have a contract with Calor?
    yota said:
    The question I ask is whether it is legal for them to charge the higher price.
    What does your contract say about it?

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • yota
    Options
    Thank you for that. I have a variable contract with them so I understand that they can charge me the higher rate at the time I ordered a refill  but question why they took 39days to deliver and had to pay the extra  price hike to the day when delivered
  • yota
    Options
    My contract taken out in November 2021 is for 2 years and although taken at 52ppl is variable. The contract does not state when the higher price becomes effective, 
  • QrizB
    Options
    yota said:
    Thank you for that. I have a variable contract with them so I understand that they can charge me the higher rate at the time I ordered a refill  but question why they took 39days to deliver and had to pay the extra  price hike to the day when delivered
    We're back, again, to "what does your contract say?" regarding prices.
    If the contract says they will charge you the price applicable on the day of delivery, then that's what you have agreed to.
    And yes, that means that if the price had fallen they would have charged you less.
    However, you really need to review why you signed up to a variable contract in the first place. Almost every other LPG customer I've met uses their contract to negotiate a low fixed price for their gas. Agreeing a variable contract is the worst of all worlds; you're tied to one supplier, but at the mercy of their daily pricing variations.
    As per the posts on the Other Fuels forum, you could potentially be paying 42p/litre. Not 70p and definitely not 80p! That's another ~£600 you're out of pocket vs. a fixed contract.
  • ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    edited 16 October 2023 at 10:36AM
    Options
    Then I would suggest asking them to send you a link to where in their terms it states the price is set at delivery/dispatch.

I would also suggest if you are not happy with these terms you ask them to confirm if you still have a right to cancel your contract (and any associated costs). 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • yota
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I am already seeking some better explanation from Calor and my current contract is due for renewal early in November. I will take on board some of the above advice
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback