Random fraudulent goods letter from retailer

This happened ages ago but I'm still curious about it.
A major retailer sent me a horrible letter saying I was in possession of fraudulent goods and, if I didn't return them immediately, I could be prosecuted, etc. I didn't have an account with them. I hadn't ordered anything from them. I wasn't holding any goods for anyone else.
I called them and they were very cagey. They wouldn't tell me anything... why they'd sent me the letter, where they'd got my details from. They didn't know my building was divided into flats... they were very surprised by this... and I concluded that it was a kind of fishing exercise, where, for some reason, they thought these goods were in the building and they somehow got hold of my contact details... I don't think the other flats received the letter and there was no flat number on my letter, just the building number.
I'm just wondering where they could have got my contact details from. I've never been a customer of theirs. I'm not on the open electoral register. In this kind of situation, if a retailer wanted to know who lived at an address, where would they find out from? And are they allowed to do this kind of thing?
After this happened, I wrote to the head office and asked them to explain what had happened, but I never heard from them.

Comments

• They'll have got the details from the order that was placed using your name.

It's not an uncommon move by people. Use a name, omit the flat details, hope to grab the stuff when it comes in and no one is any the wiser as to who now has the goods.

So yes, the retailer is allowed to seek redress for unpaid for goods.
  • fw7
    fw7 Posts: 8
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    No, the order was not in my name. There was an account number on the letter and I was told on the phone that they couldn't tell me anything as I wasn't the account holder. As I understand it, someone placed a fraudulent order to this address (building number only)... I don't know what the name on it was... and the retailer thought it had been received at this address. They then somehow looked to see who lived here to see who could have it and found my name somewhere and sent me that letter. 
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,570
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Sounds like a scam
  • fw7
    fw7 Posts: 8
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I thought so too at first but I checked the retailer's contact details online before calling and I followed up with a letter to the head office which went unanswered. I think the retailer employed some dodgy tactic to find out who lived at the property and who therefore might have their parcel. That's what I want to find out... where they could have got my name from and if they're allowed to do that in that situation. The fact that they were so evasive on the phone and then head office didn't answer my letter makes me think no. 
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,466
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    @BethRobinsonhttps://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/forum-faqs/

"There is no place for trolling, harassing, bullying or deliberately provoking others here. Treat others as you like to be treated."
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback