royalmail claim - Box opened while in transit

can anyone please give me some advice on an item which has gone missing during transit from the box.

It was an small item sold on ebay around 10 days ago , I sent it  using royalmail 2nd class signed for . It was  delivered on the Wednesday but when it arrived the person receiving it says the box was empty j(ust the packing material was inside), he sent me photos showing the side of the box which has either been opened either on purpose or torn in transit.

I contacted Royalmail on Wednesday and opened a claim ,  providing the receipts for posting ( bought through ebay ) , the packaging , the receipt from the postoffice when dropped off and screen shots from ebay sold page.

Today I received an letter from royalmail with seven 1st class stamps as way of compensation and stating that was the end of the matter .

There is no photo number or way of contacting royalmail on the letter so I can dispute this  , any ideas what I should do ?

The item was £65 and sent using royalmail 2nd class recorded delivery so insured for £50 , the buyer has opened a case with ebay so the money is frozen.

Comments

• olgadapolga
    olgadapolga Posts: 2,264
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    You need to escalate your complaint to the higher team. I always used to write to them but that was a few years ago now, you might be able to escalate it by ringing/emailing them.

There's a complete guide to complaining to RM:

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/307/~/im-a-personal-customer,-how-do-i-make-a-complaint?#:~:text=Contact details-,Royal Mail Customer Services,message here before doing so.

• cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 4,882
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

It seems like you've received compensation for either 'item with no intrinsic value' or 'intrinsic value with basic evidence' (although it's gone up from the 6 stamps mentioned to 7.)

Did you provide them with the details of the ebay sale/item number etc? It mentions when claiming it needs the following as evidence of value:

They do appear to have a staged process of appeals if you did provide the above information and have not received the outcome you wanted:

I'm not sure if this information is the most up to date - as I've taken it from here, but likely gives a fair indication of the process and requirements for a successful claim:

An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • homi
    homi Posts: 198
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite

It seems like you've received compensation for either 'item with no intrinsic value' or 'intrinsic value with basic evidence' (although it's gone up from the 6 stamps mentioned to 7.)

Did you provide them with the details of the ebay sale/item number etc? It mentions when claiming it needs the following as evidence of value:

They do appear to have a staged process of appeals if you did provide the above information and have not received the outcome you wanted:

I'm not sure if this information is the most up to date - as I've taken it from here, but likely gives a fair indication of the process and requirements for a successful claim:

thanks , yes I provided the ebay listing  which showed the sold price , the receipt from when I dropped it off and and photos of the packaging - I opened the case on Wednesday and received the letter on saturday with the stamps so guessing it is an automatic process which bypassed the evidence   . Will try and contact them by post with the evidence .  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback