Fireplace for Heating

Options
RHemmings
RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
I'm in the process of buying a house with a working fireplace. 

I've tried searching on here, but my search-fu has failed.

I'd like to know the ins and outs of using a traditional fireplace and some renewable/sustainable fuel for heating a house in winter. Costs, how effective heating is, different fuels (e.g. kiln-dried wood versus Eco(al), etc. Any advice? 

Comments

• Netexporter
    Netexporter Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Don't use an open fire. Very inefficient combustion and a huge loss of heat up the chimney when you aren't using it. Install a wood burning stove, with outside air feed, so you don't create draughts when it is burning. Kiln-dried logs are the biz. Manufactured hardwood briquettes are also excellent. They work out about the same price per kWh, IME.
  • MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I was born in the 40's and all we had was an open fire. 

To keep warm on a very cold day you had to sit on top of it, most of the heat goes up the chimney plus it's a heck of a fire risk. 

The best idea is to have a wood burner fitted 
  • in_my_wellies
    Options
    I'm sitting in front or mine now, first time this season. I've always found it puts warmth into the brickwork and is no more work than the wood burner in the other room. I use a fireguard so it's safe
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wood burning stoves are officially frowned upon.  There are already some quite strict laws.  Expect Net Zero and ULEZ style clampdowns in the future...

• Netexporter
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Gerry1 said:
    Wood burning stoves are officially frowned upon.  There are already some quite strict laws.  Expect Net Zero and ULEZ style clampdowns in the future...

I agree you shouldn't have a wood burner in a town, because of the particulates. In rural areas the concentration of particulates would be negligible. Burning wood is carbon neutral. The latest EcoDesign stoves are very clean burning, if you use properly dried wood.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Open fire is obsolete now unless you are an old pub.   Anyone still using one in their home should really look to change to a burner.

Wood burning stoves are fine. We have three and will be increasing to 4 or even 5 in the future.   However, you won't save any money unless you have your own wood or the means to source cheap quality wood.  or if you are on oil and the use of wood can target heat and reduce your oil use (hence why many rural properties burners).     A burner in the right place can avoid the need for central heating to on for most of the house.  A burner in the wrong place (not wrong but a room with no airflow) will just heat that room.

If you have to buy wood in, at best, you may just about breakeven.  Maybe a bit better off if you can reduce oil use.    If you are going to do it, do it for the lifestyle benefit. Don't kid yourself about saving money.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,637 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Netexporter said: Kiln-dried logs are the biz.
    If you have the space to cut, stack, and season your own firewood, no need to buy kiln dried. Stack your logs neatly in a shed in the spring (they don't need to be fully seasoned), and they will get baked during the summer months. Come winter, they should be well below 20%, perhaps even as low as 10%.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Netexporter
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Not everybody has access to sufficient firewood. Also you freeze to death the first winter waiting for the logs top season.
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. I didn't offer to buy the house because of the fireplace - but I was wondering what to do with it. I'll do more research into it, based on what is in your posts. 
  • RavingMad
    RavingMad Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A pub with a fire in winter are great places to go to but I imagine that it take a fair bit of wood to get them roaring.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback