Joint council tax DRO

Options
Hi, I included a small debt for council tax in my DRO which was granted in September this year. What I didn't realise as I had forgot was my partner is also on the council tax bill. The council are saying this debt shouldn't of been included as they can't split it there fore it must be paid. Is this correct? 

Whats my options now?

Many thanks.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,893 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 14 October 2023 at 12:14PM
    Options
    Council tax can be a qualifying debt for a DRO.

Perhaps @fatbelly may wish to clarify the situation for you, as some councils are just oblivious to the DRO rules.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,647 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

Perhaps @fatbelly may wish to clarify the situation for you, as some councils are just oblivious to the DRO rules.
    But aren’t both occupants jointly and severally liable to pay CT? 
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,517 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options

But aren’t both occupants jointly and severally liable to pay CT? 
    Not necessarily. There is a hierarchy of liabilities. But as the op describes this perrson as 'partner' it is likely that you are correct.

The rules on whether ctax arrears are a qualifying debt differ from bankruptcy law. In a DRO you must have 'lost the right to make payment by instalments' so this may not have been a qualifying debt anyway
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback