Disabled Adults contribution to LA Funding

Options
ThisQuietMan
ThisQuietMan Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 11 October 2023 at 2:26PM in Disability money matters
Our son, who has a severe learning disibility, is an adult but still lives at home with us. He requires 24-hour care and help with every aspect of his daily life. He is in receipt of PIP Higher-Rate Daily Living and Universal Credit (including disibility payment), and also receives a package from the LA to cover things like respite costs. He is now being asked to contribute to the LA costs.

By the LA calculator - which is less than clear - he is being left with enough to cover basic expenses - food, clothing and personal care - as well as a small amount for  'AA/DLA Night Element Disregard' and '£10 Standard Disibility Disregard'. Though we are having great difficulty finding out what those actually mean.

There doesn't seem to be any allowance there for household living expenses, so effectively the LA are just moving that financial burden onto us.

I know the LA's  are under severe financial pressure, but this is really irritating. If we placed our son into Assisted Living our full-time care, it would cost the LA a fortune. Because we haven't done that, it seems we are to be penalised for it.

Any guidance/assistance swould be gratefully received.

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    this is the energy forum, so pretty unlikely that anyone would respond.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    and also receives a package from the LA to cover things like respite costs. He is now being asked to contribute to the LA costs.

We are in a similar position, except that we have been paying for over 3 years now.
    In simple terms your adult child gets benefits to live on at home, but if they are in respite all costs are covered by the LA, so they ask for a contribution.

We know that respite care is expensive and there is a shortage of it, so we look at the overall package and if they feel they have to have a contribution then so be it.

It has been creeping up though and we must sit down and go through the details again, but as you say it can be a bit impenetrable.

I know the LA's  are under severe financial pressure, but this is really irritating. If we placed our son into Assisted Living our full-time care, it would cost the LA a fortune
    That is true, but also all their benefits would be paid direct to the LA, as part of the same logic where now they want a contribution when they are in respite.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 October 2023 at 10:59AM
    Options
    Have you seen this?
    https://www.mencap.org.uk/sites/default/files/2018-04/2017.134%20Information%20and%20advice%20resources_Financial%20charges%20for%20care.pdf

It’s probably worth properly looking at the disability related expenses and see what you can fit in there. They tend to turn down their value automatically, but if you make a complaint, I believe it has to go to panel where you can put a proper case forwards. 

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • williewonder
    williewonder Posts: 360 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 October 2023 at 5:30AM
    Options
    I get section 117 aftercare as I've been sectioned a few times on a section 3, this means I don't have to pay towards my support where as my housemates in my supported liveing have to contribute all their PIP care towards their care.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback