IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Metro centre parking fine

Options
In 2019 and 2020 I got 2 parking fines for parking in metro centre red car park instead of in the staff parking parking area and stupidly ignored them. 

The signs state that anyone can park free of charge and there is no time limit. But it does state that staff must park in the staff area. There is no proof that I was working at that time. The store I worked for doesn’t even exist anymore so there’s really no way for them to prove it. Unfortunately I used to pay everything in cash when I was a student so don’t have any proof of purchases other than maybe a greggs. 

Me and my mum shared my car so it was still addressed to my home while I was away at uni and I missed most of the follow up letters. 

I’m back home now and received a CCJ about 8 month ago. I’ve used the threads on here to write my defence and sent away the DQ a few weeks ago. 

DCB solicitors have tried to call me today but I missed it. My question is, if they ask, do I admit that I did work there but can’t remember if I was working those days as it was so long ago. Tbh I can’t actually remember if I was anyway

Comments

• Grizebeck
    Grizebeck Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    No you just don't speak to them on the phone why would you
    It isn't a fine. Why call it one 
    Advocate in the County Court dealing with a variety of cases, attending the courts in the North East and North Yorkshire
  • UncleThomasCobley
    Options
    Which PPC? What proof did they provide to show you worked there and were parked? If you were to say that other people, including family members also had access to the car at the time and could have been driving, what evidence to they have to refute that?

When you say you received a CCJ, are you sure? Do you mean you received a County Court claim which you acknowledged and defended. What exactly did you put in your defence? Did you use the MCOL to enter your defence or did you send it as a pdf attachment by email?

As it is a DCB Legal issued claim, if your defence was robust enough, you can almost certainly expect them to discontinue before it ever gets to a hearing. Do not talk with DCB Legal as they usually only try to make contact to try and persuade you to settle for a slightly reduced amount. If you ignore them and your defence is robust, they will discontinue.

Have a look at this thread and make sure you have a read of the defence template thread to compare with your defence and use the 12-point checklist to keep track of your progress.

DCB LEGAL RECORD OF PRIVATE PARKING COURT CLAIM DISCONTINUATIONS

• Beau325
    Options
    It was UKPC. No evidence was provided by then other than a photo of my car. They have no proof that I worked there or was at work that day. There is no photo of me. 

Ah yes, a county court claim not a CCJ. I used the defence template provided on here. This is what went in the defence. 

It is admitted that the Defendant was the registered keeper of the vehicle. However, the registered keeper of the vehicle was not the only named driver and it is unknown who was driving at the time.
    As it has been over 3 years since the supposed offence the defendant cannot recall what went wrong. The defendant is a frequent customer of the Metro Centre and is confident they were there shopping or enjoying the leisure facilities. The defendant was under the impression that parking at the Metro Centre was free for an unlimited amount of time for visitors which is stated on the parking signage in all the car parks and on the Metro Centre website.

I also provided photos of the signage in the car park as well as what was stated on the metro centre website at the time. 

It was emailed as a PDF and uploaded to MCOL.

Thank you, I will ignore the phone calls 

• ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 October 2023 at 4:24PM
    Options
    Hello Beau325 -
    I'd remove this 'The defendant is a frequent customer of the Metro Centre and is confident they were there shopping or enjoying the leisure facilities.'
    I've adapted more of your words here:
    'P
    hotos of the signage in the car park show what was stated on the Metro centre website at the time', but nothing's needed yet.
    Hopefully, it won't be at all.🙂
    #
    Remember, as Grizebeck says, THESE ARE NOT FINES.  
    Private parking scumpanies churn out unsolicited de facto 'invoices'.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,826 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 10 October 2023 at 4:26PM
    Options
    Think they've already defended.  And thankfully used the template defence so all is good.

@Beau325 once you get a hearing date, you need to file & serve a WS bundle, and DCBLegal will then discontinue.

Recent good WS are in the threads by @_blueberry_ and @vincentvega27
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Beau325 said:
    I’m back home now and received a CCJ about 8 month ago. I’ve used the threads on here to write my defence and sent away the DQ a few weeks ago. 
    You write that you had a CCJ but then go on to state that you have written your defence!  Have you had the CCJ set aside and are now defending the underlying claim?
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Le_Kirk said:
    Beau325 said:
    You write that you had a CCJ but then go on to state that you have written your defence!  Have you had the CCJ set aside and are now defending the underlying claim?
    But they subsequently wrote...
    Beau325 said:
    Ah yes, a county court claim not a CCJ.
     ;) 
  • Beau325
    Beau325 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thank you all. I haven’t heard anything about the parking ticket again until this week. I received a letter saying that the case has been passed onto Durham courts (which is closest to me). Then I’ve received a letter today to provide a whiteness statement by 17th March. And with a Court date for April. 

Do you think they would have already discontinued it if my defence had been good enough? Do I still have a chance that they might? 

Thank you again 
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 February at 7:26PM
    Options
    Beau325 said:
    Do you think they would have already discontinued it if my defence had been good enough? Do I still have a chance that they might? 
    On 10 October 2023 it was suggested you read this thread...
    DCB LEGAL RECORD OF PRIVATE PARKING COURT CLAIM DISCONTINUATIONS

You will find the opening post on that thread is quite informative.

But of course you must press on and provide a Witness Statement and evidence.
  • Beau325
    Beau325 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    sorry I sorry I completely missed that. Thank you! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback