DRO

Options
Marshall89
Marshall89 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 10 October 2023 at 10:26AM in IVA & DRO
Long story short I’m in debt 28,000 worth of debt. I can’t make a dent and after a lot of research and help I’ve decided to take out a debt relief order. I know it’s going to kill my credit score but I’m worried going forward how I’ll be able to rent has anyone any advice or experience with one of these. I work and have had the same job for 15 years so I’ll be able to prove I can pay the rent but I can’t with the debt I’m in hence the DRO. I’m currently living with my mum with my DD3 but can only stay at most 2 years. 

I just want to know once it’s in place how life carries on? 

And the money left over after all my expenses is that mine to do what I like with? It’s very little but it’s something 

thank you 

Comments

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,671 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You'd really be better posting this in the DRO sub section of the Bankruptcy and Living with it Forum. Ask the forum team to move it?

The starting point is that you should be paying your rent and not paying your consumer debt. 

The DRO rules allow you to pay your rent and other essential costs. If that leaves you with more than £75 per month, you can't do a DRO.

I suspect an SOA is going to be essential for people to help you. You may be better moving out of your mum's, renting, stop paying the consumer credit and then doing a DRO.

The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • MSE_ForumTeam5
    MSE_ForumTeam5 Posts: 966 Community Admin
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Moved as suggested
    Official MSE Forum Team member. Please use the 'report' button to alert us to problem posts, or email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,517 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Yes, the devil's in the detail here. I wouldn't expect someone living with family and working full time to meet the surplus income criterion for a DRO.

General principle is to get accommodation stabilised, then look at how to deal with the debts

If you could post a soa (sorry can't link atm) we can make suggestions.
  • Martico
    Martico Posts: 974 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    SOA link is here 
    Format for MSE and paste if you're willing to share (you'll get much stronger advice if you do)
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,056 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Part of a DRO is not having any major changes during the year and so it may be better to move to rental before if that's possible and then dealing with the debt while paying rent, essential bills and just having the £75 excess.

Best of luck with it - facing up to the problem is the first good step.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback