tiger135 Posts: 438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    yes but it means you cant shop anonymously anymore 
  • dil1976
    dil1976 Posts: 484 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    tiger135 said:
    yes but it means you cant shop anonymously anymore 
    Wait till you find out what mobile companies and your banks already know about your "anonymous" habits. They are just the most obvious ones
  • DigSunPap said:
    If you don't have a Tesco clubcard in this day and age then that is on you. The savings you can make make it almost idiotic to not have one.
    I don't have a clubcard, I don't need one to shop at Aldi :lol: 
    The sun's core is so hot that a piece of the size of a pinhead would give off enough heat to kill a person 160 kilometres away.
  • DigSunPap said:
    If you don't have a Tesco clubcard in this day and age then that is on you. The savings you can make make it almost idiotic to not have one.
    Aldi isn't a convenient destination for me but I do use Lidl.  
    There they do have a scheme with various special offers.
    As it is smartphone based, I do not use the Lidl scheme which means if I see that those with the app get an extra discount I don't buy the product in question on the basis that if they can make a profit giving a discunt of 20% (or whatever) then I'm not going to give them the extra profit.

What will you do if Aldi follow the Lidl route?
  • Honestly, I don’t know. 

I know people love store cards and their apparent discounts but I don’t like them. I’ve never seen anything on an offer from the big shops that I can’t get cheaper/better quality/both in Aldi/Lidl. I wouldn’t say the whole thing is a con, but they don’t run it for our benefit that’s for sure. 

I don’t have the Lidl app but I do occasionally pop in there for the odd couple of things. So I’ll probably stay with Aldi and not get the app, if one should appear. Which I really hope it doesn’t. 
    The sun's core is so hot that a piece of the size of a pinhead would give off enough heat to kill a person 160 kilometres away.
  • DigSunPap
    DigSunPap Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    DigSunPap said:
    @YoungBlueEyes Thats true Aldi is a lot cheaper for your every day items. But I would say for branded items that you need i.e Heinz ketchup etc - a clubcard is essential at Tesco
  • Yep if you’re in tesco looking for branded items, then a clubcard will save you some money. 
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,801 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    YoungBlueEyes said:
     So I’ll probably stay with Aldi and not get the app, if one should appear. Which I really hope it doesn’t. 
    As they are the only major supermarket without one I suspect they will follow shortly.
    Today I did a quick shop in Asda.  They had an offer on Muller yoghurts 6 pack £4.00 to £2.50 open to all, I purchased 2.  But with my Asda card I got a £1 off voucher plus 10% star product, 10% Blue light discount and 50p Halloween spin the wheel in my cashpot, so an effective 50% off the offer price.

• pumpkin89
    pumpkin89 Posts: 637 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    molerat said:
    As they are the only major supermarket without one I suspect they will follow shortly.
    I'm not sure they will.  Needing to give loyalty discounts undermines your position as undisputed cheapest option.  This is why Asda didn't have a loyalty card for a couple of decades after Tesco Clubcard and Sainsbury's Nectar launched - their everyday prices were cheap enough.  It was only after Aldi became a serious player and undercut them that Asda felt they had to launch one to reinforce the idea of value.
  • Vectis
    Vectis Posts: 682 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    DigSunPap said:

But, Lidl and Aldi simply don't stock the range that a large Tesco, Sainsbury etc does.

It's ok if you've got the time to do some of your shopping in Lidl, then move on to Aldi then on to another store, but most of us haven't, or can't be bothered.

Personally, I'd rather do all my shopping in one store if I can, even if it costs a bit more.

From talking to some others, they've adapted what they buy/eat etc based on what Aldi or Lidl stock. Again personally, I'd rather have a bigger range to choose from and not feel I have to buy something simply because there's no alternatives.

Also, too many times I've shopped at Lidl and I've been disappointed with their fruit and veg. Not the range, but the actual quality. Might have been unlucky, but it's been a few times now and it's put me off.

Horses for courses, I guess.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure