membership card for every shop

Apart from m&s and waitrose, when I go to tesco co op and sainsburys  I feel like I am being ripped off because I havent got their member card.
I am paying a lot more per item just because of this and only using a debit card.
Does anyone agree this feels a bit wrong?

Comments

• tiger135
    tiger135 Posts: 414
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    is it not like carrying an id card wherever you go? 
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,499
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    tiger135 said:
     So is carrying a debit or credit card 
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,399
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 9 October 2023 at 6:20AM
    Get a card as above it's free. They all have apps and offers no need to physically carry a card

You aren't being ripped off, you're choosing not to take advantage 

When it comes to how good those offers /prices on the card are that's another question altogether 
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,808
    Homepage Hero I won, I won, I won! I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Senior Ambassador
    tiger135 said:
    Apart from m&s and waitrose, when I go to tesco co op and sainsburys  I feel like I am being ripped off because I havent got their member card.
    I am paying a lot more per item just because of this and only using a debit card.
    Does anyone agree this feels a bit wrong?
    You are not being ripped off, you are choosing to not take advantage. 

Social media, having a phone, using a debit card and having a M&S and Waitrose card is tracking you so I can’t see why you just don’t get all loyalty cards for where you shop.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • I find it quite interesting, it gives us some idea of the value of the information we all give away for free to google and the like.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,275
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 9 October 2023 at 7:52AM
    tiger135 said:
    No, it’s nothing like carrying an ID card. It is however a marketing tool which gives them access to your buying habits and an awful lot of consumer data. Whether you’re happy with that or not depends on how much you mind giving your data away for 50p off a pack of oranges, or similar.

Personally it doesn’t make a lot of difference to me because I tend not to buy the stuff that is reduced on the club card et cetera anyway. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,096
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'll happily do the loyalty thing if it saves me a few quid.
    I can't be bothered with some places I rarely go to though.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,750
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    elsien said:
    tiger135 said:
    No, it’s nothing like carrying an ID card. It is however a marketing tool which gives them access to your buying habits and an awful lot of consumer data. Whether you’re happy with that or not depends on how much you mind giving your data away for 50p off a pack of oranges, or similar.

Personally it doesn’t make a lot of difference to me because I tend not to buy the stuff that is reduced on the club card et cetera anyway. 
    Its a lot more than 50p off a pack of oranges to be fair, every single promotional offer now needs a Clubcard to activate it. Thinks like two for £3.50 on sliced meats and other offers that have been ongoing at Tesco for 5-10 years now need a card to get them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback