converting video clip to audio only

Brie
Brie Posts: 9,251
Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
Forumite
Hey there

I've got a short video clip on my phone of a bit of piano music being played.  Purpose was to try to track down the name of the piece of music as the player can only remember a bit and wants to relearn the entire piece.

I've FB friends that would recognise the piece in an instant but I can't load the clip on to FB as it's somehow too big. 

I wonder if it would be possible to strip out the audio and save that separately to reduce the file size.
"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”

Comments

• SiliconChip
    SiliconChip Posts: 1,266
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I have no personal knowledge of any of them but there seem to be a variety of options that you might want to try.

• PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,137
    Forumite
    What format is it?

It would have been much easier to use Google assistant which can recognise music even if hummed.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,029
    Forumite
    Can't use something like Shazam to see what it is?

There are tons of phone apps that will do it for you depending what operating system your phone is on. Just look for a free one. It's not a difficult job for an app to do so not sure it needs a particular recommendation unless there is an odd requirement you've got that you've not mentioned. Similarly you can use another app to compress the video if you want to post it instead, I use Handbrake for that (video compression is a bit more difficult) but its a windows/Mac app rather than phone. 
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,251
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hey there

I think I've solved it - and no google assistant didn't recognise it when hummed and neither did Shazam.  I think the reason is that (assuming I'm right) it's a very slow Bach piece and the player was going at triple time and being very jazzy with it.  My brain said Bach immediately but that doesn't really narrow things down too quickly.  

fyi - it was the video app on a motorola smart phone.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • tallmansix
    tallmansix Posts: 1,895
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    joeypesci said:
    OP wants to retain the audio and discard the video, the link you provided shows how to discard the audio and retain the video.
    YNAB enthusiast and extreme coupon-er.
    Discounts, coupons and cashback:
    2019 = £1,443.52
    2020 = £1,191,76
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,804
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You can do this with Audacity and FFMpeg:

• km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,120
    Forumite
    edited 8 October 2023 at 7:25AM
    use the command line:

.ffmepg -i video.mp4 -f mp3 -ab 192000 -vn audio.mp3

or

ffmpeg -i video.mp4 -f wav -vn audio.wav
  • facade
    facade Posts: 6,898
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    km1500 said:
    use the command line:

.ffmepg -i video.mp4 -f mp3 -ab 192000 -vn audio.mp3

or

ffmpeg -i video.mp4 -f wav -vn audio.wav

I just use Audacity as it is drag & drop the video into audacity, (amplify if too quiet) then export as...  and it is done.

Ffmpeg is brilliant though! (Well the community strictly, I have a bat file to rip the DTS core out of DTS master audio and discard the gigabytes of lossless data, I'd never have figured that out myself!)

I've added your examples to my "using ffmpeg" file on the desktop.  B)

I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback