Lyca shambles

I was out of my 24 month contract with o2 in August, so took advantage of the Lyca offer shown on MSE. Not only was it incredibly cheap and included EU roaming, but the other reason was that Lyca use the EE network, which has better coverage where I live in North Wales.

So I’m on holiday now in the Algarve with my partner, when we landed in Faro I got 4 bars straight away on ‘Vodafone P’ (which I assume is Portugal?)  Everything was working fine for 4 days, made calls home to Mum, was able to check my data usage on the Lyca app, etc etc.  However, suddenly, my iPhone will not make calls, I just get a message in Portuguese then English saying ‘the person you are calling is unavailable’. So my partner calls me and the call comes through on my phone, but when I return her call, nothing.  Doesn’t matter who I call, same message.  This is very inconvenient, and potentially serious if say I had an emergency.  The weird thing is that my data and texting are working ok so the number is obviously working. Have restarted my phone numerous times to no avail.

And now the Lyca app is refusing to open, so I can no longer check my data usage. I binned the app, started again and Lyca sent me a 4-digit code to login. I enter the code but all I got was ‘No records found’, as if my number doesn’t exist on their system. But I received their code by text!

I’ve contacted Lyca (by email obviously!) but had no reply as yet. As you can imagine, this is all very frustrating.  Have MSE members had any similar nightmares with this company? Should MSE be advertising their SIM deals?  Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• markavfc2
    markavfc2 Posts: 56
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    They have had a cyber attack which has affected services:

cyber attack lycamobile
  • Now, as of this evening, when I try to login to the Lyca app, it tells me my number has been ported out and doesn’t exist on their network.
    What a shambles.
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,141
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The cyber attack has exposed the weakness of their awful customer service and poor website.

I cannot recommend them.
  • I would like to agree about their awful customer service. I found a way of getting through to a "human" on their "Help Desk" after about ten attempts. I wish I hadn't bothered. Their operatives are completely useless. Trying to resolve issues via email is futile. My advice is to have nothing to do with these charlatans and find a mobile operator that has respect for its customers.
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,141
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    This is the thing. Every mobile operator will have problems but lyca are singularly bad at customer service. They are literally useless and don't even try  
  • junpit
    junpit Posts: 62
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    This company will be gone I reckon. My eSIM was removed when I ported to a new iPhone 15. The device just said my number couldn’t be ported as the provider didn’t support it. 

Had various long conversations with their customer service. No way to get the number I’m paying for into my device. 

They only support porting the plan to a new free eSIM which you can’t obtain. Was told a few weeks ago to wate 24 hours. Today told the free eSIM isn’t available and they can’t issue you with one and to wait 24 hours. 

It’s a mess. I did manage to remove my card from
    my account on lycamobile.co.uk and do I tried to buy a new 30 day plan via eSIM. They’ve pulled them too. 

• deco105
    deco105 Posts: 42
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have tried to port my old number to Lyca for a week now and their website isn't working properly, can't reach them on the web chat and they don't reply. I wish MSE would stop offering their plans.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback