Cancel Sky and partner becomes a new customer.

Options
Sky have sent my partner a renewal notice, with 1 month to go, with a 40% increase from £45/mth to £63.50. She is a VIP customer with 12 years loylaty. The VIP "service/benefits" really offers nothing to us.
A new customer will get a similar package (Sky essentials rather than Signature) for £33/mth for 18 months.
We spent most of Sunday on chat with both renewal and retention agents, trying to get a better deal. The best they came back with was £56!
Agents did say try nearer the end of contract time, maybe a better deal on offer.
The problem with that is we still need to give 1 month notice (although I don't see why as the contract ends on 31st October so surely no contract, no notice required?)
It would seem an option would be to cancel and me to sign on as a new customer? Different name, different bank account.
Anyone had experience of this?

Comments

• Penguin_
    Penguin_ Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes, I did this when my ex moved out. Sky was in her name (same surname) so she called up to cancel & I called up a day or 2 later & started the process with no issues.

A few years ago, I did speak to a sky rep, you know the ones you see in shopping centres, & they were advertising cheap deals for new customers & when I mentioned were were married so couldn't get it any cheaper they actually advised doing the above even though no one was moving out.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,511 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sky have sent my partner a renewal notice, with 1 month to go, with a 40% increase from £45/mth to £63.50. She is a VIP customer with 12 years loylaty. The VIP "service/benefits" really offers nothing to us.
    A new customer will get a similar package (Sky essentials rather than Signature) for £33/mth for 18 months.
    We spent most of Sunday on chat with both renewal and retention agents, trying to get a better deal. The best they came back with was £56!
    Agents did say try nearer the end of contract time, maybe a better deal on offer.
    The problem with that is we still need to give 1 month notice (although I don't see why as the contract ends on 31st October so surely no contract, no notice required?)
    It would seem an option would be to cancel and me to sign on as a new customer? Different name, different bank account.
    Your contract doesn't end - just the minimum period for your discounted deal, so a notice period is still required. Lately it seems that Sky are playing hardball with customers and you actually have to leave to get the best offers - but even then ,no guarantees !!
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,631 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You need to read the terms and conditions. It certainly used to be the case that Sky said you weren't eligible for new customer pricing if you have ever benefited from (even without being the account holder) the introductory discounts in the past. 

In theory, if such terms still exist, that would mean they could remove the new customer discount and charge you full price if they were to discover (eg from the electoral roll) you were resident at the time of the last discount - in the old days when you owned the box they also threatened billing you the full price for the box. Certainly many years ago Sky made zero effort to try and find such people and never came across anyone who it had happened to. Again, this may have changed.
  • Johnny_M_P
    Johnny_M_P Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 3 October 2023 at 12:28PM
    Options
    Thanks DGG. I have scoured all the terms and conditions. I can find no such limitations.  I wasn't on the electoral register of the address when the inital contrac was started 12 years ago...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback