Additional card holder balance transfer

Does anyone know if there are currently any 0% balance transfer cards which allow the initial balance transfer to be from a card (Halifax) on which you're an additional card holder? This would be for my daughter to transfer "her" debt (from my card on which she's an additional card holder) to a new (her first) credit card. 

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,817
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 2 October 2023 at 5:30PM
    GraceF125 said:
    ....to a new (her first) credit card. 
    If she hasn't had any credit cards yet, then it's probably academic, as she's unlikely to qualify for any 0% BT offers anyway - has she tried eligibility checkers to see whether she'd be able to secure any sort of credit card?
  • GraceF125
    GraceF125 Posts: 56
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    eskbanker said:
    GraceF125 said:
    If she hasn't had any credit cards yet, then it's probably academic, as she's unlikely to qualify for any 0% BT offers anyway - has she tried eligibility checkers to see whether she'd be able to secure any sort of credit card?

Ah good point, I thought we might check eligibility for a BT card which we knew would allow it first. She's done a general eligibility check for a credit card in the past and was told she would be accepted, but not for a BT card. Would it be the same for a Money Transfer card? A first time credit card applicant unlikely to qualify?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,817
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    GraceF125 said:
    eskbanker said:
    GraceF125 said:
    Ah good point, I thought we might check eligibility for a BT card which we knew would allow it first. She's done a general eligibility check for a credit card in the past and was told she would be accepted, but not for a BT card. Would it be the same for a Money Transfer card? A first time credit card applicant unlikely to qualify?
    Yes, likely to be even less prospect of securing a money transfer card with a thin credit file.  Best bet is likely to be for her to get hold of a first card sooner rather than later and start to build up some history, before thinking about how to repay you for the existing balance....
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,565
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite

Best would be a money transfer card & she transfers to her bank account & then on to you.

Just to point out, she does not have a debt, as account holder you do 😶‍🌫️
    Life in the slow lane
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,029
    Forumite
    GraceF125 said:
    Does anyone know if there are currently any 0% balance transfer cards which allow the initial balance transfer to be from a card (Halifax) on which you're an additional card holder? This would be for my daughter to transfer "her" debt (from my card on which she's an additional card holder) to a new (her first) credit card. 
    As you note with the "" it's legally the accountholders debt not hers. 

Many BT cards require you to be the accountholder of the account receiving the funds and since OpenBanking its become much easier for them to check the name rather than taking it on trust. Personally, only tried transferring it from the accountholders card in which case MBNA rejected the transfer but Virgin were happy to proceed. I dont know if the result with MBNA would have been different if the secondary cardholders number had been used or not... in our case the receiving card was a brand that gives different card numbers to each cardholder (not all do).

This may be academic if she doesn't qualify for a BT card anyway. 
  • Can she not pay you monthly and you then make the payments to your credit card?
  • GraceF125
    GraceF125 Posts: 56
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Can she not pay you monthly and you then make the payments to your credit card?
    Yes, that's what we have done in the past, she would just like to take full responsibility for the debt herself plus I don't want her (or me)  to have to pay a high rate of interest of course while she pays it off. So I thought it might be a possibility to get a BT card in her own name - and cut out both me as the middle-man and the interest! But if it's not I don't think it's even worth applying just to get rejected. I have BT offers on a couple of my other cards so will have to use one of them to get 0% -  there won't be any more spending on the other card it was just one that was suitable for use during a trip abroad.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,565
    Forumite
    GraceF125 said:
    Can she not pay you monthly and you then make the payments to your credit card?
    Yes, that's what we have done in the past, she would just like to take full responsibility for the debt herself plus I don't want her (or me)  to have to pay a high rate of interest of course while she pays it off. So I thought it might be a possibility to get a BT card in her own name - and cut out both me as the middle-man and the interest! But if it's not I don't think it's even worth applying just to get rejected. I have BT offers on a couple of my other cards so will have to use one of them to get 0% -  there won't be any more spending on the other card it was just one that was suitable for use during a trip abroad.
    You could do that,(so long as there is enough credit) but let her set up a DD to pay a fixed amount to clear it off in the 0% period.
    Removing her from the account she is a additional card holder on. Then if she wants to get her own card she can.
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure